GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

Now, that’s one tough looking bird

You’re the last fellow that should be throwing stones about lads not fancying it and crying off the day of the Limerick v Cork semi final.

1 Like

Peter Casey mugging the lad that dived to get Gillane sent off was a beautiful moment. Casey makes himself so small in those situations. He just tumbled over.

1 Like

A bit like you crying off the marathon that time…

3 Likes

Such an intelligent player.

Out by the sideline, going nowhere, sticks his arse out and waits for the naive defender to barge him over. Wise beyond his years.

2 Likes

That’s the nicest way I’ve ever heard someone called a diving cheating cunt in my life. I’m bookmarking that.

1 Like

Unbelievable game intelligence.

Decent haul of all stars from a Limerick perspective. Tom Morrissey probably most unlucky but it was great to get the two hurler of the year awards.
I’ve always thought that the winners are over represented each year.
Lots saying here that we should have had another couple in the forwards which would bring our total up to 8. If Cannings free at the end had been flicked to the net by a Galway hurler then straight away we’d probably have gotten two less than we did (maybe English and Morrissey would have lost out) even though they wouldn’t have pucked a ball less than they actually did throughout the year.
I think Fitzgibbon deserves one at midfield. The talk about him goading Richie English in the semi final is fair enough but look at the first half of the final, Canning fouls Byrnes I think and English shoulders into him laughing at him. It’s shown in slow motion if you watch the match back. What’s the difference with this?
I also think Canning definitely deserves one, some are claiming here that he doesn’t.
The thing about the all stars and those who moan about who was or wasn’t selected is that most people really only intently watch their own team so the view is always biased.

5 Likes

Ah the more I think about it Harnedys selection at 12 is ridiculous. He was well held v Limerick below in Cork too. Injured the day of the semi fair enough but didn’t do anything that day either. Tom Morrissey had a big impact on several crucial knockout games.

5 Likes

Would you stop, he was brilliant all year and dragged cork through games. The only quibble over it is he mostly played full forward and in my view he was better than Conlon there.

Huh? Limerick players are allowed goad and dive. The worst dive of the year was by Byrnes

That’s his point.

Firstly I said his selection at half forward is ridiculous. I actually think you are hugely over egging the year he had. But I’ll entertain you, fair enough, he could have gotten his award instead of his team mate Horgan in the inside forwards. A toss up between them.

Either way, both Tom Morrissey, Kyle Hayes and indeed Dan Kearney all had better years than Harnedy for half forward in my opinion, with Tom Morrissey being the obvious one being shafted.

Kearney was Corks best player this year. By a country mile. I’d have no gripe with him getting a half forward spot. They shoe horned in hoggy and moved harnedy to a position he hardly played.

The Limerick crowd love Dan Kearney :grinning:

2 Likes

He is a smashing hurler.

1 Like

He is, but to say he was Corks best hurler in 2018 is crazy

1 Like

That’s how it appears anyway. Even Gillane had a better year than Horgan overall. Horgan had a fine year but simply didn’t do enough to warrant an All Star. Seems to me there’s an attempt to give provincial winners a strong representation

1 Like

He caused Limerick huge problems both days. His movement and ability to find space are exceptional.

Nash was able to find him on the run both days.

The tide turned after he went off in the semi. Nash had only trees to hit and we cleaned out on corks puck outs

Kearney was Corks best hurler this year.

1 Like

Hoggy and Harnedy are great players, but they’re TV players.

Every score is met with the commentator blowing a verbal load.

Hoggy scored from 20 yards one of the days and Marty was eulogising about his wrists

Kearney does a hape of donkey work