GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

You’d have been laughed off the forum. And the cork lads still waiting to win just once.

2 Likes

Cork will be hard pushed to win one before 2025, which will be the 20th anniversary of their last one. This year will tell a lot for them, whether they are willing to blood a whole new team and stick with it…

Anyway, I agree, Limerick the greatest champions ever.

1 Like

There must have been something in the water in Limerick in the mid 90’s. Serious array of talent, from the 1996 age group in particular.

We wouldn’t be the greatest champions ever yet. But if we win the back to back we’ll be the second best team of the modern era after the great Kilkenny team. After them you’d have to go back a long way to find a team with a record as good as this this Limerick team.

And imagine, if it wasn’t for the incompetent officials in the semi final it would be three in a row already. You’d nearly have to pinch yourself sometimes.

1 Like

Cork 03-06. Won back to back and appeared in 4 finals in a row.

Ye’d be behind that even if ye retained next year.

Our unique achievement of winning every game in a season would ease us past the cork lads.

But of course we’re getting carried away. We haven’t even done the back to back yet.

I couldn’t give a hoot if we lose every league game every season I’d do anything for back to back all Irelands. Very few counties win back to back all Irelands outside of kk or cork.

It really cements limerick as a truly great team.

Outside of Cork, Tipp & Kilkenny you’d be hard pressed to remember counties doing back to back in hurling.

Galway ‘87 and ‘88 obviously.

Wexford I presume in the 50s.

It is not done too often that’s for sure. To defend your crown is the ultimate for me.

It’s the only thing that would ease the pain of 2019 for me. It’s so close again now I just hope they do it.

Even in football the great Tyrone team didn’t do it or Armagh.

There was a great bit of cut to the Limerick sperm in 96 after how poor Gary Kirby was treated by the ruffians in Wexford.

1 Like

Outside of the big 2 in football Dublin and Kerry it’s been done a tidy few times. Off the top of my head Down, Meath, Galway, Cavan, Offaly, Cork, Roscommon, Kildare, Wexford and even the hapless Mayo have achieved the feat. I wouldn’t begrudge these counties their success (bar Roscommon) if we could win fuxxing wan’.

That’s only football though

2 Likes

Had no team ever done that before?

1 Like

Nope. KK had an unbeaten season but had a draw somewhere along the line.

In the entire history of the GAA?

1 Like

I reckon Fagan knows the answer to this.

I would guess it’s in the relatively modern era of league and championship

He certainly thinks he does

Click…there’s the sound of a rat-trap setting…

Its beautiful to watch a master at work.