GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

It was Tipperary who were reputed to have won every game but that myth was blown apart on here.

Limerick 2020 were the only team in the history of the GAA to go through the year without a draw or a defeat, unless someone can prove otherwise??

The Invincibles.

1 Like

Sure Tipperary went through a year winning all of their matches and didn’t even win the All Ireland or indeed the National Hurling League for that matter. Or even the Munster Championship.

:rollseyes:

1. They drew with Limerick at the Gaelic grounds.

Yes, and Tipp drew with Kilkenny in Nowlan Park in the League in 2001 which was the other year suggested. They were also defeated twice in the Waterford Crystal League in 2001.

Close, but no cigar for both I’m afraid.

There was another suggestion that a Tipperary team in the 50s or 60s had done it but alas they were defeated in the Oireachtas Cup, a hotly contested competition at the time, so once again, it was close but just not quite close enough now was it?

This guy fucks.

Tipp drew their all ireland semi final in 2001 with Wexford. Aside from the comfortable win in the replay every other game they played in championship was decided by three points or less.

I think every game in Munster that year was decided by three points or less. A very tight championship.

1 Like

I couldn’t believe it last night, someone was telling me that the most All Star Awards Tipperary ever received on an All Ireland winning team was 7, and the most a Cork team ever received was 8 (1977).

Only Kilkenny and Limerick have received the magic 9, the greatest side of all time in Kilkenny 2008 doing it most recently before the Limerick Invincibles of 2020.

That must be a bitter pill to swallow. We’ve only 9 All Irelands but it really is quality over quantity when you consider us the second greatest team ever to win an All Ireland. Unreal.

4 Likes

There’s the additional fact that Limerick beat the “big three” plus the previous year’s winners in 2018, as well as possibly the most unique championship in history in 2020. There’s just much unique trivia to this Limerick hurling team’s success.

4 Likes

2018, the first ever Round Robin Championship, the ‘80 Minute Final’, and roundly lauded by the pundits as ‘the greatest championship ever played’…

2020, the ‘Winter All Ireland’, the ‘Pandemic All Ireland’, the Longest year…

This Limerick team will be spoken about in a thousand years time. Immortals.

3 Likes

Tipp did it in 61.

The team who revolutionised hurling.

They may well have.

Go on, I’ll gladly admit I’m wrong if you show me they didn’t draw or lose a competitive game in any competition that year.

In 1961 you’d have had 4 major competitions

Oireachtas Cup
League
Munster Championship
All Ireland Championship

Limerick still have the new suburban powerhouses of Mungret and Monaleen to add to the conveyor belt.

Oops a daisy’s

Ah dirty one… close, but alas, no cigar :man_shrugging:

I only count league and championship. Anything else is a nonsense.

@Breaking_my_balls is breaking all comers balls here. He’s a phenom.