GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

Correct and believe you me, theres plenty of lads round here that are only lining up to stick the boot in. So now that you have the chance, hammer the fucking hammer kid. Hammer the fucking hammer

1 Like

John Kiely pulled a stroke before that All Ireland that ensured the Internet battle was wrapped up early doors

It’s not paranoia if they really are out to get you

1 Like

I’d accept, at a push, a crowd approaching 30k back in the 40’s and 50’s but there was nowhere else to hold a crowd much beyond that until the development of PuC in 1976 by which time the days of massive crowds at Cork finals had come and most definitely gone.
Some of the Cork lads may have some stats on attendances but I’d imagine somebody with a wild imagination is feeding you a porkie.

2 Likes

1977 34k seems to be the highest

I just heard some old fellas saying that tbh I didn’t think much about it.

The real glory days were actually in the late 70s when they had north of 30k paying in and many thousands of kids being lifted over the turnstiles

I thought this was in rings time.

Had anyone seen poor @anon76546466? He was full of beans last night.

Big dog!

There was a funny enough story I heard a few months about jack lynch. The cork td/hurler. Now excuse my lack of knowledge of the names of the time but:

Apparently cork and tipp were playing a championship game where lynch scored a goal. After finishing his goal he shouldered the cork full back into the net or bundled him into the net.

Lynch ran back out to his position and the tipp full back was slow enough getting back to his feet and Was dusting himself down slowly.

He eventually got himself right and roared out to lynch “if you try that again there’ll be a bye election in cork” much to the amusement of the other players :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Galway’s greatest ever goalie Tony Reddin said that to Lynch.
Up to the early 90s there was still 20000+ still going to Cork senior hurling finals. These days 10 would be considered a good crowd.

1 Like

Maybe I could have it mixed it up I was listening to a few yarns like that from a neighbour.

Your right, Reddin ended up hurling for Tipp

Cork would have been considered a hurling powerhouse back then

1 Like

Three big city clubs dominated the finals,

When Cork were going well in later years there was never near those crowds at the finals,
There was a proper rivalry between the Rockies, Barrs and Glen

Martin Charles Reddington as he was christened.

2 Likes

That’s the year after the opening of PuC so understandable.
The opening day the year before was some shambles. It was possibly the hottest day of an inordinately hot summer. Limerick’s love of sweltering conditions was yet to be discovered.

1 Like

The exchange with Lynch is all the funnier when enunciated in Reddin’s actual voice…I’ll leave that one with the younger gaels…

Having tested the Limerick chaps on it it does appear that their claim that winning all of their games in a calendar year is a unique achievement is correct.

5 Likes