GAA All Star Wars

From the times

Gearóid McInerney, the Galway player unanimously named the outstanding player of 2017 by each of The Sunday Game panellists, has not made the shortlist for this year’s hurler of the year award.

While McInerney was one of 14 Galwegian players named on the 45-man All-Star nomination list yesterday, his omission from the hurler of the year category is a shock. Joe Canning, his team-mate, did make the list along with Waterford’s Jamie Barron and Kevin Moran.

Barron and Moran were two of the 11 nominations from Waterford. The remainder of the breakdown saw Cork receive eight nominations, Tipperary five, Wexford four, Kilkenny two and Clare just one.

Cork’s Mark Coleman, Waterford’s Conor Gleeson and Galway’s Conor Whelan were shortlisted for the young hurler of the year prize.

PwC All-Star Hurling Nominations

Goalkeepers Colm Callanan (Galway), Anthony Nash (Cork), Stephen O’Keeffe (Waterford)

Defenders Mark Coleman (Cork), DaithĂ­ Burke (Galway), GearĂłid McInerney (Galway), PĂĄdraic Maher (Tipperary), PĂĄdraic Mannion (Galway), Noel Connors (Waterford), Tadhg de BĂșrca (Waterford), Aidan Harte (Galway), Adrian Tuohy (Galway), Darragh Fives (Waterford), Diarmuid O’Keeffe (Wexford), Colm Spillane (Cork), John Hanbury (Galway), Damien Cahalane (Cork), Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny), Conor Gleeson (Waterford), Philip Mahony (Waterford), Matthew O’Hanlon (Wexford)

Midfielders David Burke (Galway), Jamie Barron (Waterford), Brendan Maher (Tipperary), Johnny Coen (Galway), Darragh Fitzgibbon (Cork), Lee Chin (Wexford)

Forwards Kevin Moran (Waterford), Joe Canning (Galway), Conor Cooney (Galway), Joseph Cooney (Galway), Patrick Horgan (Cork), Pauric Mahony (Waterford), John McGrath (Tipperary), Michael Walsh (Waterford), Alan Cadogan (Cork), Conor Whelan (Galway) Conor Lehane (Cork), Noel McGrath (Tipperary), TJ Reid (Kilkenny), Austin Gleeson (Waterford), SĂ©amus Callanan (Tipperary), Shane O’Donnell (Clare), Conor McDonald (Wexford), Cathal Mannion (Galway).

Hurler of the Year Nominees
Joe Canning (Galway)
Kevin Moran (Waterford)
Jamie Barron (Waterford)

Young Hurler of the Year Nominees
Mark Coleman (Cork)
Conor Gleeson (Waterford)
Conor Whelan (Galway)

Jamie Barron and Conor Whelan

3 Likes

McInerney was probably left off so as not to create a similar controversy to last year. Unless it’s an exceptional case, I think the HOTY should be from the AI champs, and for that reason I think Canning will get it. At the end of the day, his last 10 minutes against Tipp, and near flawless accuracy in the AI was probably enough. If Whelan doesn’t get YHOTY, then they can fuck right off. Coleman was exposed once the white heat got turned on, and Conor Gleeson didn’t do enough. Although well marked in the AI final, Whelan had an outstanding year.

4 Likes

Do you think it’s fair that Canning will get it for 10 good minutes v Tipp and scoring his frees in the final?

Gearoid McInerney or either of the Waterford lads would be more deserving recipients. Canning will probably win it as the Waterfront vote will split but by his standards he had a very average year.

I would probably have McInerney and Whelan ahead of the Joe show this year. I presumed it would have been the two of them with Barron (who for me was HOTY)

I fear @Bandage will not take it well when Canning gets HOTY and Matthew O’Hanlon gets nothing

5 Likes

I agree Geroid McInerney should have been nominated. I thought Joe had a very good final, his opening point set the tone, he worked tirelessly all game, and when Waterford went ahead mid way through the second half, David Burke and himself stepped up and swung the momentum back. His sideline cut and long distance free were inspirational. People expect Joe to win MOTM every day, but Galway are a much better side now that they no longer rely on him so much. I think overall for the season he is deserving of HOTY.

All Stars and POTY awards :smile:

1 Like

Joe Canning had an excellent season and will be a thoroughly deserved Hurler of the Year.

2 Likes

If Joe gets an All Star will he sit with the rest of the recipients, or on his own chair at the other side of the stage away from them all?

He will sit on his rightful throne, and all the hurling world will bend the knee

And he’ll stay there all night after the lights have gone out, signing autographs for bar staff. J*e.ie and ball$.ie will cover it live exclusively.

Aside from nominating somebody for POTY who wasn’t in the top 30 best hurlers this year, I’m shocked that Limerick don’t have any nomination.

TFKs cunts and sheep hate a nice guy, a successful one tips them over the edge completely :rofl:

4 Likes

I think McInerney was ahead of Cannon but Barron is ahead of Cannon in that list imo. Barron and Whelan for me but I can see darling Joe getting the award. Maybe it was tactical this year only nominating one Galway player so as not to split the vote and have a whinge fest like the chipp fellas last year.

We’re not shocked at all.,

It’s not just a tfk thing. Maybe more concentrated here.

PwC are the new award sponsors and I’m certain their audit policies and procedures wouldn’t allow for any shenanigans.

I thought David Burke would get a nomination for HOTY, one bad game against Tipp fucked it up for him.

H’an the Jimmies! H’an O’Hanlon!

It’ll be a joke if Canning gets HOTY over Barron.

1 Like