GAA Congress 2020 - Larry boy is Boss now

Yeah it needs to be completely re thought. This is a start at least.

A split season is fantastic, if long overdue, news.

Even with the turmoil of last year it was a really enjoyable club championship.

Everything played off over 8 or 9 weeks, players knew when they had matches. Few dead rubbers with every match important and something riding on it.

Playing two games in April and then having a five month gap with lads off playing intercounty, away on J1’s etc made it very difficult to maintain training and enthusiasm.

A great day for clubs and club players, in particular.

8 Likes

Cynical foul rule passed 61% to 39%

What’s the new rule exactly and why were players so opposed to it? Hopefully it doesn’t paint itself into a corner like the black card by specifying the types of foul

Yeah devil’s in the detail on that one.

The sin bin will be part of inter-county hurling this year after the experimental rule was narrowly backed by delegates, receiving 61% support, at virtual Annual Congress today.
It means that a cynical foul in Gaelic football or hurling that is committed by the defending team inside the 20-metre line or semi-circle that prevents a goalscoring opportunity will result in a sin bin for the offending player and a penalty puck/kick.

Does that get applied to all matches going forward? Or only 2021 season games.

E.g. Our 2020 championship was paused at QF stage. If that championship is completed, do the new rules apply?

Up to local CCCC decision whether to implement the new rule?

No. Trial for inter County season this year

How is a cynical foul defined now?

Is it different to the current black card offences in football or is it up to the referee’s discretion?

Let anything up to a GAA referee’s discretion is a recipe for disaster.

What’s a cynical foul compared to a regular one and what’s a goal scoring opportunity?

I can’t see this causing any issues at all

it is amazing the GAA has actually changed it whole competition structure to deal with the issue rather than actually tackle the cause of the issue which is allowing the County Manager rule the roost the last 2 decades

1 Like

Exactly the point that was being made at Congress. I don’t know how such a contentious motion could have been passed by such a small margin in the format Congress was done.

Now was the time to put a linesmen inside each 40 to ref this. Poor cunts will be calling these from 50 yards away wheezing for breath.

I can’t understand the limit of clubs to 16 in senior by the way. Why not leave that to counties. What was the rationale

I haven’t a notion what the point of it was. Galway should just go ahead with what they had

:thinking::thinking:

I’d say it will be fairly clear.

A cynical foul is one where there is no effort at all not to foul to gain an advantage over the attacking team.

“Goalscoring opportunity” is where the issues will come

So there’s a wan on wan just outside the square, ball dropping in and the full back has the forwards hurl wrapped up.

Cynical? There’s no effort not to foul

Goal scoring opportunity? Does someone have to have the ball in hand?

I think it should be restricted to drag downs from behind, possibly with the added component of a clear run to goal

I’d say that is clear enough too. Like in soccer/football. Dragging somebody down who is clear in on goal etc