GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Ger Cunningham now favourite for the Dublin SHC job

If Padraig Joyce is the best full forward of the last 25 years then Seamus Moynihan is some man! When they marked each other in the 200o All Ireland Final draw and replay Joyce had to move off him and move to the half forward line to get a kick. I think Moynihan repeat the dose when they met in a QF a year or two later

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 1027844, member: 377”]As Kinvara Passion has said, Galway football fell off a cliff after 2002. The senior guys like Tomas Mannion, Kevin Walsh, Gary Fahey and Sean Og de Paor left a huge void in leadership stakes which was never replaced and the other two star players Ja Fallon and Michael Donnellan were bedevilled by injury (the same could be said of what should have been the next sensation of Galway football, Michael Meehan). In the second half of Joyce’s career, Galway were being knocked out of the championship by the likes of Wexford, Westmeath, Antrim and Donegal (when they were still a pub/drinking team before the Jim McGuinness era of prohibition) and routinely beaten by Sligo in Connacht.

For the rest of Joyce’s career, he was akin to Declan Browne in Tipperary, having to do it all. Up until the day he retired, Joyce was still the go to man for Galway and invariably about their best player every day he went out.[/QUOTE]

Tomas Mannion was a superb defender - corner back and centre back. Galway never replaced him

Peter Canavan is out on his own as the best full forward of the last 25 years.

Him and Roy Mannion

In that case Mannion’s superior hair would be the tiebreaker.

Edit: Malone :smiley:

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1027816, member: 24”]Brian Dooher. Only difference is that Dooher was a lovely sweet kicker of the ball.

EDIT: Paul Galvin was another.[/QUOTE]
Dooher’s skill was protecting it. Donnellan was more pace and jinky. Different players really, but Dooher would be up there and probably ahead as an overall footballer.

Galvin different again,arguably a mix of the two but a better tackler.

But he was some man. PJ could still be the best ever and have had an off day or struggled on one man.
Seamus was a legend and one of the best 6 defenders in my life time.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1027957, member: 183”]In that case Mannion’s superior hair would be the tiebreaker.

Edit: Malone :D[/QUOTE]
Ah fuck yea, Malone. He walked on water you know.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027971, member: 273”]But he was some man. PJ could still be the best ever and have had an off day or struggled on one man.
Seamus was a legend and one of the best 6 defenders in my life time.[/QUOTE]
Still couldn’t contain Clarke or McConville when he was on them.

Dont you dare question @caoimhaoin’s buddy “Seamus”.

or big Colin Corkery …used to use awful cynical tactics on the big Nemo man…

Everyone has their match.

Don’t remember him on McConville though. A lot is made of Clarke in 02, but it was the midfield getting on top that changed that game.

For fucks sake I’m sitting here on my own in a pub in melbourne thinking something interesting has happened and maybe Davy had fucked off from Clare but instead I get a re run if the tedious who is the best noughties football team. Someone tell me something interesting.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1028072, member: 273”]Everyone has their match.

Don’t remember him on McConville though. A lot is made of Clarke in 02, but it was the midfield getting on top that changed that game.[/QUOTE]

think it was more mcentee dropping back as extra half back and allowing mcgeeney break forward was the key…that and one of the most underrated players Andy McCann attacking more too…class footballer

that’s the type of attitude that has you drinking on your own pal…lob a glass over your head ta fcuk and see what shenanigans ensues …berra banter…

Oh Jesus you lot are killing me here, someone help a bro out, I want to have drink. But I’m bored senseless

Are you stalking somebody?

Johnny Magee is taking charge of Wicklow

Jesus fitzy I was there all last week, I had plenty time to bore the bollix off ya with S&V, tactics and just a general where is football going in the medium to long term conversations.
I had at least 3 coffee shop sit downs all on my own.