GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I think Liam Griffin was 50 in 1994-1995 when he took over Wexford

Think Mickey Harte and Joe Kernan would both have been about 50 when they took over Tyrone and Armagh although Harte did have underage county management experience beforehand.

He was 49.

Talking hurling here Bomber.

As good as in his 50’s so :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed - an out and out money man

I heard Manuela will be Scully Ryan’s interpreter up in Westmeath

Means fuck all. Players always blame managers for their deficiencies. Good coaches learn and move on, poor ones just blame the players.

Only a small group of people tend to take responsibility for loses in defeated teams. Except for rare developing mature teams.

The bottom line is having the talent, a coach can only make an adult team 5-10% better, but he can make them 30-40% worse.

Some of the smart American coaches often attribute their success to the recruitment manager. Cal Dietz is credited as the best S&C coach in the US College system, yet he openly mocks that title and says “our college has the best recruitment system”. At the end if the day dealing with good players is generally easy, and you can put some lads thru archaic training methods and it won’t matter, they’ll still perform. Alternatively you can out average players thru the mill scientifically and get the absolute out of them, and collectively that may amount to a 5-10% improvement. But that it.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1028635, member: 273”]Means fuck all. Players always blame managers for their deficiencies. Good coaches learn and move on, poor ones just blame the players.

Only a small group of people tend to take responsibility for loses in defeated teams. Except for rare developing mature teams.

The bottom line is having the talent, a coach can only make an adult team 5-10% better, but he can make them 30-40% worse.

Some of the smart American coaches often attribute their success to the recruitment manager. Cal Dietz is credited as the best S&C coach in the US College system, yet he openly mocks that title and says “our college has the best recruitment system”. At the end if the day dealing with good players is generally easy, and you can put some lads thru archaic training methods and it won’t matter, they’ll still perform. Alternatively you can out average players thru the mill scientifically and get the absolute out of them, and collectively that may amount to a 5-10% improvement. But that it.[/QUOTE]

I was more laughing at how much they had paid the man, he is a spoofer of the highest order but if you can still get clubs to hand over cash like that… make hay while the sun shines as they say.

Griffin has huge charisma.

Come again?

Im not encouraged by the assessment of Cunningham on here. :frowning:

Sure what the fuck do these lads know taz. Give him a year at least.

Fuck that @tazdedub

Get the players to go on strike until they get their way. No point in developing a ‘small county’ attitude.

[QUOTE=“croppy_boy, post: 1028752, member: 306”]Fuck that @tazdedub

Get the players to go on strike until they get their way. No point in developing a ‘small county’ attitude.[/QUOTE]

Nah we will give him a chance, we are like that in Dublin. It will be tough for him to convince players to go with the hurlers with the competition from the footballers.

I think he could turn out to be a dark horse. He seems to have a good modern, but basichurling, approach.that will get the basics right and mean it will be of long term benefit as opposed to one hit year.

Tippy, tappy hurling.

As such.

[QUOTE=“croppy_boy, post: 1028760, member: 306”]Tippy, tappy hurling.

As such.[/QUOTE]
I didnt think Dublin’s mullocking style hurling could get more basic, but i Kev says so, it must be so.

ironic from a laois man to talk about mullocking…farce of a county…always crying the poor mouth…apparently ye are on the way back now you can run Antrim to a few points… :-DD

My comments weren’t regarding Cunningham @tazdedub.