GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1150137, member: 706”]Always seemed like a fucking eejit to me with the wooly hat pulled down over his head in the height of summer.

[ATTACH=full]3021[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

point taken re the wooly hat. He was attached to that hat as Colm Bonnar was to his clipboard during his tenure as wexford manager. I still had cheddar down as an alrite sort though

O Flatharta gone

Bald as an egg, I suppose.

Not in the least, Cheddar has magnificent hair.

Brian Whelehan resigned from Offaly

Davy given another year with Clare

Whelehan applied for the minor job and was given the senior one so I do feel sorry for him. His managerial career is poor though and Offaly regressed badly under his watch. The obvious candidates would be Danny Owens and Ken Hogan who brought Kilcormac and Coolderry to all-Ireland club finals. Owens would be the obvious choice, I’d have thought, but the locals don’t seem to have much time for him and reckon his coach in Kilcormac is the key man. It’s possible that both turned down the job last time.
It is not an attractive job with the dearth of talent coming through and there won’t be many applications I’d say. Offaly don’t have the money to bring in a big name so my bets are on a first timer like Michael Kavanagh, Paul Curran or somebody like that.

1 Like

Eamonn Kelly has stepped down as Kerry Hurling boss.

Serious record over the two years; won 2a both years, lost the playoff final the first year and won the second. Reached Christy Ring final both years, winning this year.

Pity he didn’t stay on to steer them through 1b and the Championship next year, but from his point of view there is little upside.
Probably felt it as well to go out on a high rather than stay for a year where winning a league game and getting out of the qualifier group would be seen as a massive success.

Huge problem for hurling and especially the likes of Kerry is how do teams bridge that gap between 2a & 1b. IMO everyone in that “Leinster” qualifier group should be fucked down into the Christy Ring with the winner joining the “Leinster” championship as the qualifier winner does now.

Kelly is in for the Offaly job

I have no idea how that would work logistically, its easy to just toss that out, but when do you play these games? As things stand in the qualifier group, its a clusterfuck trying to fit the games in. It’s impacted dreadfully on Laois’ U21’s in the past 3 years, and caused Cheddar’s resignation earlier this year because the Clubs were fuming at not having their players available to them between league, qualifier group and championship proper then. Throw in the extra games the Christy Ring would probably bring (and the waste of time a lot of them would end up being) and you’d have full scale anarchy in a county.

Not sure he is stepping up much to be honest, other than in prestige.

Be a great appointment for Offaly, not sure it would be good for him. He’d get them organised at least.

They play the Christy Ring off in about 6 weeks. Finished for the middle of June.
All bar one would be free to do whatever they want then.
You’d need to fuck the equivalent amount of current Christy Ring teams down a grade alright, give them something to play for though and a realistic way to step up in standard.

Far less travel commitment

is he???

What county is Kelly from?

Chipp.

The general publics views on managers and managent teams is hilarious. No one person can deliver everything, and the GAA seems to think they should be able to.

You wouldn’t ask a Production manager to manage the managers, manage the workers, validate the equipment, do the quality checks, design the product, build the product etc etc.
it’s bananas in this day and age.
A member at a meeting last week apparently asked for more info on whaT exactly I did at Training and they ahouldn’t sign the cheque till they find out

He is a Kildangen man I believe. He is also training Sixmilebridge this year who are quite bullish of their chances of winning the Clare senior hurling championship.

What’s wrong with that question.

We’re 3/4 way thru the season, it’s the 4th cheque, it’s a reaction to one loss, it’s more or less unanswerable to ordinary folk. It’s just typical of the board room Ignorance. How do you tell someone asking questions like that, that 8-10 hours a week goes into training outside of training, most of which you don’t get anything for, or the free gym sessions you do with individual players etc

Go find out yourself, go to training. Ask the person themselves.

All it is is blame culture. We are 18-2 in games this year. No other sport carries on like the GAA. Everyone else just pays the man and gets on with it. It’s a bizarre culture.

1 Like

Sounds more than reasonable that a club member would query where club funds were going? Surely it’s up to the relevant people involved with the team at the board level to answer the question then. Was the cheque withheld or are you just annoyed that someone would query the worth of your involvement?

1 Like