GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Fuck them they showed “Wee Pete” the road and are paying since.
McCartan failed to polish the one nugget he had ie. Clarke.

1 Like

@blake will be delighted to hear Jason Ryan has gotten the bullet in Kildare.

Glen Ryans time has come.

1 Like

Harsh on Glen.

Hes perfect for the job, a prick to manage a shower of pricks.

Sorry @blake.

1 Like

Denis Connerton appointed new Longford senior football manager.

Never heard of him. Club managerial experience?

I didnt know jack jumped/pushed?

Slashers, but also a former Longford manager with a decent enough record if memory serves me correctly.

1 Like

Well when he admitted defeat to Dublin this year and genuflected in Croke Park he couldnt be kept on.

True

Jason Ryan…

Best thing for both sides, all things considered. The Cork victory was a tremendous night, and a very good achievement, even considering Cork’s fragile state, but it papered over the glaring cracks that have developed. The league performances were catastrophic, a cocktail of soul crushing hammerings and insane collapses. It was clear on a number of occasions that we were tactically a shambles and Ryan never fully knew how to maximize the potential of the squad. Ryan is a good guy, but he never once seemed like he had a proper plan for the panel and it was consistently reflected in the performances. But at least we’ll always have Thurles…

It will be interesting to see if the CB go for a third consecutive out-of-county manager or decide to go native. We have some good young players, with more teams coming through, but a lack of leaders. My pick would be Cian O’Neill, but that might be a pipe dream for the prodigal son. Kevin McStay will probably be linked again due to his interest in 2013. Jack O’Connor’s sons play for Moorefield, and Eanna has been playing well enough to warrant panel inclusion next year, but doubtful that this would tempt him. Brendan Hackett is doing a good job with the minors, but his stint with Westmeath was a disaster. Bryan Murphy won a Leinster minor title, isn’t doing too badly with the U-21 team, and was part of the senior set-up under Nolan but I’ve heard he’s old fashioned and I’m not sure if that would work given the direction football is heading. Doyle, Rainbow or Dermot Earley would have the respect of the lads, but an absolute dearth of experience, apart from Rainbow’s stint with Carlow. I think Jack Cooney would be the pick of the club managers, he’s doing a decent job with Celbridge, but there isn’t anyone very established or successful there that wouldn’t be a retread (John Crofton) or thoroughly underwhelming (Luke Dempsey).

2 Likes

Have yee money left to even consider an outsider?

A lack of money has never stopped the CB spending in Kildare

Not a prayer on Cian O’Neill. He is living in Cork doing the PHD and has a great number with Kerry.

With the loss of talent as well he’d be mad to do it. Maybe wait 4-5 years for some of the underage to mature

1 Like

Rainbow FFS, the useless fucker wouldn’t train/manage a pig to be dirty.
Hammy Dawson is about as high as ye’ can aim.

4 Likes

What are you basing that off?

From watching him in his Carlow tenure. His players were lacking in discipline and fitness and his intuition on the line was worse than poor. Granted Emlyn Mulligan was the best and most creative forward in Connacht at the time but Rainbow’s ideas of curtailing him ranged from deploying the 14 to drop in front of him to his marker trying to drop him with hefty digs.

He’s there like that other statue Mickey Moran. Arms akimbo as the ships’ holed below the bow, stoic and serious looking.
I’m more for the “involved” type of guy with a bit of investment in his charges. A man who’s in it with them rather than one of those mercenary fuckers who knows the “expenses cheque” will be in his miserable pocket after “the feed”…Cunts…

6 Likes

Surely Glen Ryan has to be in with a shout for the Kildare job. Maybe a dream team of Ryan, Doyle and Rainbow or Earley.

What has Ryan ever done of note? Where is he managing now pal?