GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Won a league with Longford.

Very noteworthy. Always look for the guys who were successful with weak countues/low populations and limited talent.

Good chance he is a better ciach/manager than Jim Gavin for instance. Not that it’s easy manage Dublin, but it’s certainly easier.

Think Sunday is Gavin’s greatest examination. Last year can be forgiven, could happen to anyone and they actually started well. Why would you change too much? But he has the template, he has seen the pitfalls etc. Whatever about winning/losing, if Dublin don’t put in a 70 minute competitive performance E I think it puts question marks over him in comparison to other managers.

Barely notable. Where is he now by the way?

He’s managing Arles Kilcruise in Laois

The glamour.

1 Like

This is one of Glen’s tactical masterstrokes with Kilcruise this year by the way

I don’t get it

He named the team in alphabetical order by surname (goalkeeper apart). Take a look at number 18 for example.

Former Kildare keeper, Enda Murphy, who has done a great job managing our club over the last 3 seasons could be in with a shout. Turned down the Kildare u21 job last year.

Squad numbers make more sense these days.

Where’s John Michael MacDonald on that squad. Is he not kicking with them any more?

Aye. Good one.

Not for a while now. No idea tbh.

In WEx the printers use the same numbers as the first game of the championship for all the championship so it would make sense to use squad numbers, so rather the give the team in positions, which are for the most part redundant listings anyway, they simply give a list.

Sense in that, but it’s not how it’s done in Laois. And naming a team with Ross at 18 is just shitehawkery

I don’t think that’s a policy. Accidental if it is.

I doubt he did. I’d say it got throw out by the printers thru an excel file or something. Under pressure to get a list in by Wednesday and that happened.

Nope. It was him.

They changed it this year for that. Same team list as first round for all games after, and it was a program with every squad in it, so you only had to produce one program. Clubs were, or at least should have been, told this at the start of the year. Makes it easier for the journos too.

Very sensible and straightforward idea