GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

It’s not quantifiable either way but I don’t think it would have had a destabilising effect bringing a quality player back in at a later date. I’m not sure if everyone would have shared Kavanagh’s disdain for him either in the camp and I’d imagine the McGees would have been close and privately unhappy with his treatment.

As far as I’m concerned McGuinness made his point and the rest spilled into general vindictiveness and was very spiteful and petty.

From an outside perspective, what McGuinness did seemed to be more slog than science? The training/travel demands etc surely don’t fit in with any h-p protocol

He was not HP really. It was one mans vision and you get the impression people followed more than controbuted.

Hence why i think he failed to repeat. Players get sick of a dominant person if he is too involved pretty quick.

You can’t really call a 1 man show HP as surely he cannot be covering all bases.

Like Cork team of 00’s i think this Donegal side did not get the return their talent could have got. Although they clearly got close.

From what i know of the training there was a nice bit of method to it.

There are many ways to skin a cat though. Its not all about science. There is an art to it too.

Donegal were always talented in fairness. The deficit was more mental than physical. What McGuinness did was more akin to Loughnane than any leap of sports science to my mind.

Ulster Championship had a huge bearing on that. If they were like Mayo/Dublin Kerry where they knew they only had to peak for August every year they would have achieved a lot more. Look at the age profile of the Kerry team the last three years and how the current Championship heavily benefits them.

Disagree. Different times and all that and both certainly would have crossover similarities, qualities and faults.
However Clares hardness seemed to be derived mostly from hardship on the pitch. Donegals was a more structured approach and while they trained alot there was a fair bit of method both in training and psychologically.

Loughnane could use the head too and manipulated people into following him. In that sense they are very similar. Think methods differed though.

Games helped Donegal hone their plans. So again an advantage.

They should have planned year 2 differently. Ulster was there no matter what, they knew the pit falls.

From an S&C POV repeating, and almost increasing according to himself, the work load was a mistake. You can hang onto that built up fitness actually quite easily if smart about it. I don’t think they were brilliant in this regard.

1 Like

Martin Storey is the new Wicklow hurling manager.

He’s a former Wexford hurler.

GAA books make the authors very little. @Bandage might confirm, maybe 30 or 40 c a book. It’s all about the EGO.

Wicklow are fucked

1 Like

MYBE HIS LINED UP :sunglasses:

Brian Cody reappointed in Kilkenny. Incredible scenes.

Just for one year.

Ex-Wexford captain Ciarán Deely is the new London manager.

Eddie Brennan taking over Kilkenny under 21s. I don’t think he has any managerial experience

A sound lad. Didn’t realise he was working with QPR the last few years.

Won a Junior county with Lisdowney apparently.
Cody is “overseeing” it anyway.

2 Likes

Maybe you should get onto your buddy Leen about his stories.

Surprised at you for believing them. Now accept your clamping with good grace and lets all move on.