GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Donegal didn’t win an All Ireland because of McGuinness pettiness towards Cassidy.

On the same kind of basis so, do you think Davy Fitz was right last year in how he dealt with David O’Halloran? Or is it different cos he didn’t win an All-Ireland??
That craic of making lads sign contracts etc is pure megalomania. Actually thinking they are enforceable is the nutjob bit.

1 Like

I am referring to them taking it to the extent that they’d cross the street to avoid him. That was cuntish. And as Kavanagh now says (as he desperately tries to row back on what he done) that was wrong and he feels bad about it.

To think that you’d go that far to win, to cross a street to avoid a fella you shed blood with. Fuck that.

1 Like

But that was not McGuinnesses fault.
Thats what i’m discussing

I mentioned Kavanagh from the off. McGuinness’ culture creation brought about the situation, but Kavanagh is far from blameless in how he carried out his managers wishes. McGuinness’ actions with Gallacher are no better. He gave out about Cassidy breaking omerta’s and demanded the players back his decision to ostracise him, but has no issue doing so himself now and telling all. He has his success. But at what price. He doesn’t have to give a fuck, but dont go lamenting broken relationships now given his hand in them.

2 Likes

Ya on sticking to the rules. Don’t agree to the rules though, think they are mental. Also i don’t agree with many other aspects of his approach and lads being carted away after fresher fonals and ran up hills on their own etc etc

2 different situations. Clare have an AI.

@caoimhaoin

Do you think if it was Michael Murphy in the position Cassidy was that he would have done the same thing?

The ends justify the means so?
Maybe it’s personal with Cassidy, and that he never liked him anyway, but he treated him deplorably with the extent he forced the panel to treat him likewise.
Am I wrong in thinking they shared a car to Donegal training when they were both players??

Hard to know. I suspect he got MM’s buy in very early and had probably privately spoke to him and said some hard drcisions may come. But you need to be squeeky.
Thats what i have seen before anyway.

Put it this way. He would not have won the AI had Murphy forced him to make that choice.

Would he fuck. But you’re talking chalk and cheese there. That would never happen with Murphy anyhow.

By the way, I wouldnt like to be seen to painting Cassidy as a martyr here, or a great fella, his history would suggest he’s anything but. But that doesn’t make the treatment of him acceptable in anyway. McGuinness begged him back 12 months earlier, he strung him up when it suited him not long later. It was wrong then, its still wrong now. McGuinness bringing out a book and telling tales must have given Cassidy a good laugh I’d imagine.

3 Likes

At this level yes interms of team unity. I think Davy failed after the AI in believing too much in what he did worked and also the classic mistake of thinking doing the exact same thing again will work.

McGuiness also admitted he made that mistake, particularly in relation to training.

I think Davy may well have reviewed homself recently or someone else had a chat with him. His vibe has changed, for the better i think. I will always give credit to people who change.

He is a good man

How do you figure that? I’m hard pressed to think of any public utterance Davy has had in the last 3-6 months.

1 Like

Yes, but I believe there was unbelievable pettiness attached to the Cassidy incident. I think the players had already bought into what he was saying, the culture had been changed, the infraction itself was minor, the punishment excessive.

He made his point and should have brought Cassidy back into the fold. The way he ruthlessly ended the intercounty career of a two time all star and good servant to the county was something that makes McGuinness come across very poorly. It wasn’t as if Cassidy was remorseless, he made a minor mistake and apologised.

You can square that off that he achieved success with respect to his actions but I believe he would have had anyway and possibly more with a player like Cassidy on board.

1 Like
2 Likes

Ya tou are right there. It is hypocritical.

But we’d be giving out if he didn’t tell the truth as well.

You’re guessing now Kev. More likely he had Murphy from the u-21 set up and knew he was a willing disciple. Cassidy would strike you as a fairly free spirit, and not as inclined to toe the line with McGuinness’s demands. You’d be applauding him in other circumstances.

Come here, i thought it was the death kneel at the time. I was not fulky aware of the whole sign up thing, but i do remember thinking you can’t be losing KC and expect to win an AI.
But i was wrong.

Don’t underestimate that galvanising effect.

Yes i would. And you are right re:21’s.

I might be giving JMcG too much credit here, but a good manager goes in and has alook at what he has and how certain things will be recieved. He had already won over a number of the young lads as you mention.

And of course i’m guessing. Thats all we all are doing re:Donegal in fairness.

1 Like