GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

[quote=“sid waddell”]McCartan appointed Down boss

New Down football manager James McCartan
11 September 2009

The Down County Board have confirmed James McCartan as the new manager of the county’s senior football team.

The appointment, for a three-year term, was ratified at a meeting of the County Committee earlier this evening with the new manager’s backroom team including Paddy Tally and Brian McIver.

McCartan won All-Ireland senior football medals in 1991 and 1994, as well as two All Stars and an All-Ireland minor title. He also represented Ireland in International Rules in 1990.

Since his retirement from playing he has managed Queen’s University to Sigerson Cup success in 2007, his own club Burren to a league title in 2005, Antrim club St Gall’s to a county senior championship in 2008 and most recently he has been at the helm at Derry club Ballinderry.

Paddy Tally was the trainer of Tyrone during their All-Ireland and NFL winning season in 2003. He has coached St Mary’s University College and was the Down senior football trainer during the past season.

Brian McIver managed Ballinderry to the 2002 Ulster and All-Ireland Club titles and Donegal to the National Football League in 2007.[/quote]

Stupid appointment, it should be Pete McGrath imo.

think mcgrath has served his time…the game has moved on…

Has done great work in recent years with minor and U21’s, seemed like he was bringing back up another generation, felt he deserved his shot again.

Kiely gone.

Probably a good ending to Damian Lawlor’s book so-has a new one coming out about a year in the life of the Waterford footballers or some such-

Waterford end Kiely’s reign

John Kiely is no longer the Waterford football manager after the county board called to an end his five year reign.

Kiely was expecting to be handed another year at the Deise helm and has expressed his disappointment at the decision.

Kiely told the Irish Examiner: 'All my life I was never a bitter man pointing fingers or blaming people. I am always looking on the bright side of things and of life. I think we have won more games in the last two years than Waterford did in the previous 30.

'But I am very disappointed by this. I am going to miss it. I enjoyed every minute of it. But I am a member of the GAA family. And I am going to Croke Park on Sunday. I will still enjoy football and will always support Waterford.

'I couldn’t have worked with better players or a backroom team. In the course of my time we got seven Waterford men onto the Munster team to play in the Railway Cup. All the nice people I have met from all over Ireland - that is what the GAA is all about.

‘It is not about the people making decisions behind your back.’

He added: 'There is a committee here in Waterford who appoint the management teams on a year to year basis. However, we were not approached to meet with that committee to discuss our future or their concerns.

‘But you know what the GAA is like. I knew for a couple of weeks that they were looking for a change, but no one said anything officially. Maybe the fact that I was against the seeded draw might have counted against me.’

[quote=“Pikeman”]Kiely gone.

Probably a good ending to Damian Lawlor’s book so-has a new one coming out about a year in the life of the Waterford footballers or some such-[/quote]

A good man is John Kiely. More shabby treatment it seems of the good fellas. Probably was too long in the job, but in fairness he deserves a call or something at least.

[quote=“sid waddell”]McCartan appointed Down boss

New Down football manager James McCartan
11 September 2009

The Down County Board have confirmed James McCartan as the new manager of the county’s senior football team.

The appointment, for a three-year term, was ratified at a meeting of the County Committee earlier this evening with the new manager’s backroom team including Paddy Tally and Brian McIver.

McCartan won All-Ireland senior football medals in 1991 and 1994, as well as two All Stars and an All-Ireland minor title. He also represented Ireland in International Rules in 1990.

Since his retirement from playing he has managed Queen’s University to Sigerson Cup success in 2007, his own club Burren to a league title in 2005, Antrim club St Gall’s to a county senior championship in 2008 and most recently he has been at the helm at Derry club Ballinderry.

Paddy Tally was the trainer of Tyrone during their All-Ireland and NFL winning season in 2003. He has coached St Mary’s University College and was the Down senior football trainer during the past season.

Brian McIver managed Ballinderry to the 2002 Ulster and All-Ireland Club titles and Donegal to the National Football League in 2007.[/quote]

Surprised that report didnt mention the circumstances surrounding his retirement from inter county football. Broke a young lads jaw from Westmeath in a challenge game. Case went to court and was settled out of court as far as I know.

Ah Kev, he had to go, served long enough, and its about time we got a proper football coach/manager in.

Kiely was hardly even at all the training sessions.

We missed a great chance for promotion in 2008 by the width of a crossbar.

Neither were the players

[quote=“HangBlaa”]Ah Kev, he had to go, served long enough, and its about time we got a proper football coach/manager in.

Kiely was hardly even at all the training sessions.

We missed a great chance for promotion in 2008 by the width of a crossbar.[/quote]

Didn’t know that to be honest Hang. I know one of the players (a commited one) and he had great time for him.
Good footballers in Waterford, better than their standing in the country anyway.

Ah yeah, they all have great time for him. A hell of a man, who has doen massive work for football in the county, but wouldnt really be a good coach or trainer. He would just leave somebody else train them away, would watch some evenings, then his job was to pick and motivate the team.

There is potential there if they get a good man in though.

[quote=“HangBlaa”]Ah yeah, they all have great time for him. A hell of a man, who has doen massive work for football in the county, but wouldnt really be a good coach or trainer. He would just leave somebody else train them away, would watch some evenings, then his job was to pick and motivate the team.

There is potential there if they get a good man in though.[/quote]

Did I see that bloke wearing a Rangers jersey once on the box?

That is definitely not to be commended.

It was a very strange decision to allow him bring up minor and U21 sides and then overlook him for the senior job, Down are a shambles, which is a shame because they’ve always been one of my favourite other County sides.

Former Down and Irish international rules manager Pete McGrath has revealed that he would is interested in the vacant managerial role at Armagh.

Despite his history will Down, McGrath insisted that the Armagh job is one that interests him.

‘If I was approached, I would give the offer serious consideration. If Armagh were interested in me, I would certainly think about it,’ he told the Irish News.

McGrath was surprisingly not considered for a return to management with Down after Ross Carr left the post, and he admitted that it’s a decision that still rankles with him.

When asked if the pain had started to ease, he replied: 'It hasn’t really. I think it is one of those things that is going to linger.

'In saying that, I have got to move on. I can’t allow my life to be overwhelmed by something that was devastating and very hurtful. It is still very much there and I just wouldn’t be on top of the world at the moment.

‘But it’s up to me to make sure that it doesn’t take a grip. No-one should allow that to happen because it would all sorts of inroads into you health and well-being.’

Down have always been ny second favourite county ever since '91. Big drinking culture up there is there not? Expected McGrath to get it myself but the team they’ve appointed doesn’t look a bad one, not sure about McCartan but McIvor and Tally have a good record of success elsewhere. If they get Clarke back they’ll be a coming team.

And the new Armagh manager is…PADDY O’ROURKE.:D:D:D

Ho ho ho.

Expect a strike by this time next week.

[quote=“sid waddell”]And the new Armagh manager is…PADDY O’ROURKE.:D:D:D

Ho ho ho.

Expect a strike by this time next week.[/quote]

Feckin hell :eek:

Cork hurling manager Denis Walsh has completed his backroom team for the coming season by enlisting the services of former Munster rugby fitness coach Mark McManus and ex-Cork minor physical trainer Donal Burke.

McManus, who apart from his Munster rugby experience, has recently been involved with Cork senior hurling outfit Erin’s Own and Cork underage development squads, will fill the role of strength and conditioning coach. Castlemartyr native Burke, who was a team-mate of Walsh’s on the Imokilly side that reached the 1987 county football final, will be the team’s physical trainer.

“I believe they’ll be major additions to the backroom team,” he said.

“Mark will be starting out by putting in place individual strength and conditioning programmes from November 1. I would also like to put on record my appreciation of the work that Jerry Wallis did for us this year and for all the work that he has put in with Cork over the past number of years.”

Wallis had been with the team since 2003, during which time they won two All-Ireland titles, and he was a firm favourite with the players.

Johnny Evans is to be officially named as the new Director of Football in Tipperary in the coming weeks.

The Kerry native has been in talks with the Tipp county board and says negotiations regarding his appointment have almost reached a conclusion.

The current senior team manager told The Examiner: 'It has been formulated, the role has been drafted and a consensus has been reached with the county board.

‘That’s as far as I can go. There will be a good release on this. We want to have the proper terms of reference. It’s involving the role I have, plus a number of other portfolios.’

He continued: 'If I predict what’s going to happen next year, I’m going to tell all and sundry what we’re going to do but part of it, of course, is about staying in Division 2. If we can do that, it’s a mighty achievement.

‘It’s important that we do stay in Division 2 from another point of view. The plan, going forward, the vision that we have in mind for Tipp football going forward necessitates us staying up there.’

Former Wexford and Carlow SF manager Pat Roe has been appointed Laois U21 Football Manager.

Clare native Mick Lillis has been linked with the Clare Football post. Lillis is a Clare native but is based in Laois now and managed St Laurences of Kildare to the Kildare SFC title this year. He’s also over Portlaoise U21 side this season.

[quote=“myboyblue”]

Clare native Mick Lillis has been linked with the Clare Football post. Lillis is a Clare native but is based in Laois now and managed St Laurences of Kildare to the Kildare SFC title this year. He’s also over Portlaoise U21 side this season.[/quote]

KIB manager Micheal McDermott was named as Clare manager for the 2010 season during the week. For someone unknown reason Liam McHale will be a selector. Not sure what he will add bar expenses. Will be interesting to see if McDermott can get Dessie Molohan out of retirement…

Bad news for Lillis, missed out on Laois U21 job and Clare job in space a of a week. Back to Laurences to earn a small fortune I guess…