GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

John Meyler has been named as the new Kerry hurling manager in succession to Mossie Carroll.

It is Meyler’s first senior inter-county post since he was forced to step down as Wexford manager following a players’ coup against him last year and his second stint in charge of the Kingdom hurlers, having previously been in charge in the 1990s.

The Cork-based Wexford native is already familiar with many of his new charges after leading the Kerry under 21s to an All-Ireland ‘B’ title this past season. Ballyduff’s John Hennessy will be one of his selectors, with a second to be named later.

Word spreading like wild fire that Jusin Mc is to be sacked tonight with TJ Ryan to replace him! just what I heard,most likely bullshit but you never know.

Christ I just got an e-mail with that same information on it. You’re not from Adare by any chance?

I think sacking Justin would be a disaster. Whats happened here isn’t really his fault. I would like this to be resolved without taking one side over the other.

Runt normally I would agree but as long as Justin stays the players we badly need like Hickey,James Ryan and O’Mahony wont play.Without these players amongst others we are fucked from a height!

Ah it’s just a balls of the situation. Man for man most of the 12 players dropped initially had served their time and it was right to move them on but because of the pig eared way it was handled we now have the other players refusing to play in support of them.

A meeting should have been called in early October or whenever. The management/county board should have thanked the players for their services thus far, Justin explained his vision of the team for the future and then they the players they would be contacted in the coming days/weeks with regards to who was dropped/not dropped.

Brendan Hackett has stepped down as Westmeath Senior Football Manager after a vote of no confidence in him from the players last Monday night by all accounts.

Dessie Sr will be in there like a shot I’d say.

Westmeath have now lost 14 league games in a row.
Manager’s fault alright yeah.

I like Hackett, talks a good game, but he has a bit of a record of failure at this point. Great notions, but should remember he’s at Westmeath. Saying that, there was a huge rebuilding job to be done there, he was manager of the U21’s who got to a Leinster final, beating Laois Meath and some other shower along the way and losing out narrowly to Dublin. He called up about 11 of that U21 team to the Senior panel, so he was making the right moves.

However alienating someone like Dessie Dolan and Denis Glennon was always going to come back and bite him in the ass, a County lke Westmeath dont have the capacity to replace the likes of them.

Blame on both sides. Westmeath Co Board should just have given the job to Dessie Sr in the first place.

Farcical scenes in Westmeath over the past few days. First Hackett walked, then he decided to fight, then he was tossed out, joke shop stuff. Time to give Des Sr the reigns.

When all’s said and done, I think it’s fair to say that Brendan couldn’t Hackett in Westmeath.

Lovely.

Rumour has it the old rogue is hanging up the spurs.

Niall Rigney has stepped down in Laois.

That would be a surprise/disappointment would it?

I long for the day that Moran/Morrison will appear on this thread.

They’ll be on it in a fortnight or so, I’d say Farmer

What does McGuinness work at Manus? The eternal student is how I remember him, although I believe Bryan Cullen may have passed him out lately.

McGuinness confirms interest in Donegal job
05 July 2010

Jim McGuinness has confirmed that he has put his name forward in a bid to succeed John Joe Doherty as the next manager of the Donegal senior football team.

The current Donegal Under 21 manager’s comments come ahead of tonight’s meeting of the county board and he is the first candidate to publicly express his desire to take over the reins of the Tir Chonaill men.

“It is a big job with a lot of responsibility and I thought about it for quite some time before letting my name go forward,” said McGuinness.

"It is a big job when you consider where the team are at present. And it is a big task if we are able to bring the team to where they are competing for Ulster titles and hopefully All-Ireland titles.

"It is going to take an awful lot of commitment with hopefully the manager leading from the front and the players hopefully following that lead.

“I gave a big commitment to the Under 21s and I proved to myself that I was able to do it. That is why I am now interested in the senior post.”

The county board are set to consider their options over the managerial post tonight when Doherty delivers his final report, with ex-manager Declan Bonner thought to be another candidate for the job.

Sean Dempsey has had his tenure as manager of Laois Senior Footballers ended by the Laois County Board.

In the past few days or so, there has been strong word going round Laois GAA circles that Micko is on his way back to Laois. Since then he’s been nominated by the Laois County Board Chairman who was in situ during Micko’s time in charge.

Not sure how I’d feel about this. While I have the utmost respect for Micko and what he’s achieved, I don’t believe he will or can have the same impact he had back then, I don’t believe the same quality of footballer are there at the moment and I believe it would be a backward step in the modern era of the game to have Micko in charge. We’d be far better off appointing someone young and hungry in my opinion.

I expect this one will run for a wee bit.

Thought there was a bit of a falling out with Micko and a few of the players in his last year there…