GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I would take him to Leitrim like a shot.

Jackie Cahill is seething over the way the story was broke.

In fairness Ray that’s a harsh comment. Wasn’t it only the other year that the Offaly footballers had to go to Co. Westmeath do train under lights and there was an outcry to have their own facilities.

The county has an excellent ground and now a training centre. If you build it they will come.

Offaly grossly over achieved in hurling over a 20 year period but at least they’ve put the infrastructure in place to succeed.

2 Likes

Well if you read Skin Ryan’s comments he said he’s been struggling to get players to commit to the county. He couldn’t get 30 lads on a regular basis to have 15v15 games. He couldn’t get guys to commit to winter programs. Divisive was the phrase he used. Now if you think by building facilities that that will all change…, I think there is more fundamental problems in Offaly at the minute. It was in that context my comment was based.

Maybe its because he is not up to scratch himself?

Fellas need a carrot tgese days. A developing young team or a great manager or really well looked after by CB.
They need something anyway and Offaly have none of that

1 Like

On d money Kev, love of d jersey not enough anymore

Maybe so but how many managers have been in there the last number of years and have never stayed too long, even Offaly men themselves? It seems there’s problems at board level and player level

It think there was some hurling development committee set up by Brian Carroll and a few others. It was opened with great fanfare however all those at the top table have jacked after the county board reneged on promises.

They had a relatively successful year in 2016 with hurling development squads. They got silverware at u-16 and u-17. However the CB put new rules in that parents couldn’t be involved with squads so all the management teams were sacked. The CB then put in their own men, some of whom were parents of kids on the squads. It upset the whole dynamic of teams and the whole atmosphere this year was toxic and has manifested itself with disastrous results so far this year.

A clusterfuck of a county at the minute. The like of Duignan, Reagan et Al are happy to harp from the sidelines. However current players are to blame also. They had Joe Dooley and Brian Whelehan over them for a few years and could barely make an effort.

In hindsight Ollie Baker didn’t do to bad there at all. Hard to see who will take over them.

1 Like

The players made a good effort under Dooley in fairness. He preceded Baker.
The big problem is lack of players due to a tiny pick and a lack of decent underage coaching.
The hurling development committee lead by Brian Carroll all resigned en masse last week due to lack of support from County board.
Its hard to blame well educated young quite average club hurlers deciding not to go in and make up a 30man game as part of training for inevitable hammerings to well funded experienced high level teams

You might be right. We don’t know. But maybe its just bad appointme ts too.

Look at Cork, no trouble with playing for the jeraey here. You’d find 2000 lads who would have some notion of themselves. But if things ain’t right at the top then you are in trouble.

The Chairman had to be a visionary and a very good facilitator. If not then its only pot luck.

Ye are blessed to have Frank down there.

1 Like

He is not the chairman

Technically you are correct I suppose .

Technically??

Do you know who the chairman actually is? It’s the lad who has just been appointed to manage the fucking stadium :rofl::rofl::rofl:

On a technicality, he is the former chairman

Who replaced him? I thought he was still in situ

Ger Lane.

1 Like

I’m all over the shop. That s who I was talking about. Thought it was lane had gotten the PUC job

Frank was the visionary.

More like 20,000 in Cark

1 Like