GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Johnny McGurk

He wouldn’t do it, he’s scared stiff of work

10 Likes

Ah he had 3 years. They’ve been reasonable underage for a while now.

I don’t know but I don’t recall Tohill ever having any sort of high-profile managerial role outside of that. Isn’t he an engineer or something? Maybe he wouldn’t have the time for it but he’s Derry’s greatest living legend, knows what it takes to win, was a good analyst, and I imagine would be a good thinker about the game and a good man-manager. Derry football is in a similar position to what Wexford hurling was in, in that a high profile appointment like Tohill could well get the best players in the county all pulling in the same direction and galvanise them within a short time.

Why wasn’t Mark Lynch starting for Derry this year?

I don’t know but I’d guess it goes back to what Tohill was once caught saying off camera about him during a break on The Sunday Game circa 2009/10. ie. that he’s not that bothered.

He’s their best player in my view.

Tohill is the CEO of Mid Ulster Council and probably could not devote the time to the Derry job .

He isn’t young . Played on the 2002 minor team that beat Meath .

32 next year. Running out of time.

Jesus

He was only 16 playing minor .

He looked competely out of shape when he came on

What about yer man from Westmeath called Malone?

:clap:

The great Pete McGrath has resigned as Fermanagh manager.

He did a terrific job with them.

Derry are currently looking for a new manager and he might be an option for them, but I think it’s more likely he’ll end up as Louth manager next year given that Colin Kelly recently resigned and it’s a very handy commute down the M1.

Strange, I thought I’d read he & the Co Board were happy to continue for another year?

Yes, this had been reported.

Seems some of the players wanted change though.

Crazy, I know.

Ryan gone from Offaly I see and not without a parting shot

That’s what Offaly get for not returning to Liam Sheedy to spearhead a committee to find their new manager. Sheedys fellow Tipp man Eamon Kelly was a huge success for Offaly using this approach.

1 Like

They’ve a fine training center built in Offaly but no hurlers to fill it!