GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Ya. Constant stream of effort at u16 & Minor. 2, maybe 3 football as well. Rural club too. Now its a big parish, but it still is a serious achievement

@caoimhaoin, who are the 2 towns you’re referring to?

Bray and arklow

Your rugby point is wrong then. Your shithole observation is spot on though.

Greystones is in Bray.

Why rugby wrong? I lived in arklow and towns cup was way bigger than GAA. The rugby club was thriving

Huh?

Numbers dwindling. Didn’t have a 2nds team for a good few years recently. Doesn’t impact GAA at all

Bray has no rugby club. Greystones is the nearest.

Flippant comment is all, I walked from one to the other on Sunday, the two seem to be very closely linked in all ways, the rugby club in Greystones would almost certainly attract players from Bray, doesn’t the school in Bray have a rugby tradition? I suppose the point I’m making is that rugby could well be a big draw in the town of Bray despite them having no club of their own.

He hasn’t a notion what he’s on about

In arklow?

Arklow had to join with a rural club to stay alive. Do you not think thats struggling in a town with numbers similar to other towns with 2 or 3 clubs

Two of the schools in Bray have strong rugby traditions, Pres which is public & Gerard’s which is private. A lot of the students would travel to these schools from other parishes. Bray in itself wouldn’t be know as a rugby town. It would be soccer & GAA in that order.
The three main rugby clubs in Wicklow AFAIK are Greystones, Wicklow town & Arklow.

This is mac trying to make some seird point score

I agree its struggling but I don’t agree that rugby is the cause as you outlined, and Bray doesn’t have a rugby team. Soccer has more of an impact.

The influx of people into Arklow that were rehoused has killed a lot of the community element of the town which the GAA may have thrived on. The town has a huge amount of social problems and a ridiculous drug problem in comparison to other towns of its size.

Bray is weird. A huge amount of people living there would identify themselves as dubs rather than from Wicklow. Bray Emmet’s have come on a lot in recent years. A lot of Gardai from other parts of Ireland have helped rejuvenate areas of it but very few people would give a fuck about the county team.

I’m saying the feel of the town is different and has a more anglo outlook compared to other towns.

Plenty towns in Cork like it as well. Fermoy for a long time although they have come on alot. Bandon similar.

It was a general point though and was just a follow on from what @ciarancareyshurlingarmy had said about it. My experience largely tallied with that.

Arklow is a rugby hotbed. Towns Cup winners in 2004.

My informant played with bray emmets and was from a northern family

2 wins in nearly 100 years of the competition screams a rugby hotbed alright :rollseyes:

1 Like

Waterford hurlers have two All Ireland wins in 130 years of competition, 1948 & 59. Still doesn’t make it any less of a hurling hotbed.

2 Likes