GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

It matters not a jot who manages Wexford.

1 Like

It does if he was sniffing around the Waterford job

9 Likes

The News and Star last week were reporting that Derek as a departing gift gave the Waterford County Board a list of four recommended candidates and went on to name the four. Paddy Joe Ryan denied that this had happened.

Who were the 4?

Wexford are fucked. They are probably not talented enough to challenge anyway, but year 3 with Davy??? His only solution to anything is more of the same.

3 Likes

I do t disagree but why do you think the players seem to be strongly in favour of keeping him?

Id imagine the level of professionalism that he brings is on a par or exceeds what they have previously been exposed to. I agree with @caoimhaoin. He is one dimensional as a coach, in much the same way donal o grady was.

5 Likes

The players probably think they’re better than they are, nobody could turn them into a genuine contender

1 Like

Surely not!

Great to have Davy’s situation confirmed before the end of August. We’ll be in a very strong position to retain the Walsh Cup in January if heavy training resumes in a few weeks.

5 Likes

That’s it, his effort surpasses others.

That’s where it ends though.

thought meyler was doing okay with them and they didn’t fancy him

he got them to an all Ireland semi final

davy yet to get them there

anyways as you say, maybe where they are at is where they should be and is their level

having said that thought a few big guns boxing below their weight v clare in the QF. Player or managerial fault?

Pat Ryan,Donal Og, John Allen and Anthony Daly

No he didn’t.

Didn’t some of the Waterford players already meet the county board selection and attempted to interview him with the result that he walked out?

No I believe he met players and it went well. He then proposed a backroom team and players objected to one of the selectors and he pulled out

Meyler departed as Wexford manager in 2008. Is there any player remaining from that era on the current Wexford squad?

As @Big_Dan_Campbell mentioned it was reminiscent of Clare in 2014 or 2015 in July. Heavy legged, unable to change their style and just worn out.

Wexford county board have made a fair few stupid decisions in their time and this is up there with them. He’ll have ended the careers of a few promising hurlers before they’ve reached their mid 20s. Of course we’ll fly through the winter hurling before blowing up in the latter stages of the league again.

1 Like

John Allen???

Sweet Jesus.

Daly only man remotely qualified for it

What’s wrong with Allen? Doubt he’d want it but I think he made a great job of Limerick in his two years there. Particularly compared to O’Grady the year before.