GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

O’Grady was a one trick pony who turned out to be a money grabber. Allen was adored by the players and his set up was top notch

2 Likes

He was manager in 2008 when we lost to Kilkenny in the All-Ireland semi-final.

Absolutely. Allen was out of all proportion better with the same group of players, selection wise particularly.

That was 2007. Ye bate Babs’s Tipp in quarters

1 Like

Eanna Martin

1 Like

He’s got a lot of explaining to do then.

Players were blamed for ousting him which was bullshit. Ger Doyle and his band or merry mischief makers orchestrated that.

No he wasn’t.

There was no band. Just the one mischief maker.

Apologies. He was manager in 2007 when we lost to Kilkenny in the All-Ireland semi-final.

He’d be lost on modern hurlers and visa versa.

The opposite I would have thought. Seems a facilitator and a great guy to get players to take ownership, also seems to get good people around him and is not afraid to delegate properly.

3 Likes

I found Allen to be very astute in any of the dealings I had with him.

The state of hurling in the Mon over the last 20 years is a sad indictment on O’Grady.

1 Like

He may be some of those things, and he may be a nice man, but he would be a huge step backward for Waterford. It’s ironic you ridicule DOG when DOG is the reason JA has an AI ton his name. And he brought the DOG template with him.

DOG has moved on in his views. Reading JA the odd time I do not see it.

Would need a serious coach.

3 Likes

You know it was split in 2. He was charged with improving academic results in one school with half the students and girls brought in

And I believe he is instrumental in getting it back joined together for hurling as from this year

The best players from The Glen and others have been going elsewhere too

1 Like

Kev, we’re judging O’Grady and Allen on 2012-2014. You’re judging based on a decade earlier. Who’s out of date? Anyone in limerick will tell you Allen is far more in touch with modern players than O’Grady.

I couldn’t give a fuck what anyone in Limerick says. This is about the Waterford job today.

What did Limerick do with him in the job?

And even in past 2 years it’s gone another level again. He would be a disaster for Waterford

1 Like

But O’Grady wouldn’t?

I’d put my faith in O’Grady far quicker

Again, recent experience in limerick would suggest otherwise.