GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Kildare have some very good footballers and have shown they can beat an elite team in Mayo. Their performance against Dublin in 2017 looks pretty good in hindsight. There was a real feeling they could kick on from that and their win over Mayo, but they haven’t. They’re punching below their weight currently. However they have as much potential as any current non-elite county because they have a consistently good underage record of late, are well situated geographically and economically and have a potentially massive support base. They have the potential to do what Mayo have been doing for the last seven or eight years. They’re a sleeping giant.

O’Connor is an elite inter-county manager with a long record of success. The main thing an elite inter-county manager can generally do is get players to commit.

What I’m not sure about is how O’Connor’s gruff nature would go down in a county outside Kerry. He strikes me as quite old school in a lot of ways and it’s possible that he could start to alienate players within a relatively short time frame.

But he’s definitely worth a punt because of his consistent record of success.

O’Connor’s record with the Kerry u21s was poor.

The best of that crop were promoted straight to senior, but that said it doesn’t read particularly well

Getting Flynn back is key. A Rolls Royce of a player if a bit frustrating at times

I don’t buy that excuse at all. If Kerry can win 5 minor AIs in a row, then surely they can turn one of them into an u21/u20 victory. They haven’t even reached an AI final at u21/20 from that vast crop. They were only missing David Clifford and Diarmuid O’Connor this season, and I highly doubt those two would have made up for a 14 point defecit in what was a vastly superior Cork outfit.

I agree he underachievdd.not a good appointment. Game may have passed him by.

Big Dan is the players choice to take over at Waterford

He’s the definition of someone who is his own man. Does his thing and wouldn’t really care for what people think of him. His family have no background in GAA and he’s said before he doesn’t take football as serious as other lads. A great mindset to have but by fuck we need him.

2 Likes

Not a huge fan of fistybogball but he looked a serious player to me anytime I saw him.

What experience in management has Dan got aside from being with Derek?

Was he even a coach that time or just a selector? I’d guess Derek would in the main take training sessions.

He has loads of experience of running out into the field and pointing his finger and shouting at the referee, which is a big part of the job.

16 Likes

He’ll have excuse making down pat as well from his time with Derek.

Imagine an inter county manager going around with his baseball cap on backwards :grinning:

1 Like

It’s important to have somebody the players are comfortable with. Wasn’t Big Dan a kind of co-manager under Derek anyway? A knowledgeable Waterford hurling man once told me that Derek was mentor/father figure to all the city lads but the West Waterford lads didn’t really get Derek. That’s where Big Dan came in.

was he a translator?

No. Big Dan is in the same line as Christy Ring was. Drives an oil lorry.

He’s a Top man

11 Likes

He’ll need Mullane in the backroom team for badge kissing.

A slick operator

1 Like

he was never very mobil as a player

1 Like

A Tougher man you won’t find