GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Were the two young fellas raised in Kildare or did they move up there for work?

Moved up for work.

Both kicked underage with Kerry.

Grand he can crash with the sons while expensing the drive.

Players in Cork approached Kingston apparently. Cunningham would get the coaching job if Kingston were to be appointed. They were spotted sitting at the 20s game together

Whispers of Tessio moving west to manage the Clare hurlers…

Which Ger Cunningham? The lad with Newtown or the lad who was with Dublin?

I was sitting near Kingston at the Munster under 20 final and there was no sign of either Cunningham with him that day.

There is no vacancy as of yet. It is believed that Donal Moloney will look for another term with a new management team potentially including Seanie McMahon and Cyril Lyons who worked with him at 21s level. Daly would be interested in theory but can’t see him and Pat Fitz burying the hatchet for this to take place. I have yet to hear of any outsiders and I would be surprised if we had the money for one unless he was going to do his own fundraising.

I would like to see a change myself and a fresh voice, there are some hard questions which need to be asked of number of players in the group and while Moloney doesn’t shirk this kind of stuff I think he is too loyal to the senior players and a lot have been listening to him since under 14 development squads.

A clean break and a brand new voice and backroom team would be my preference but due to Pat Fitz parachuting hams into the minor and 21s gigs for the last 7 or 8 years it means we don’t have too many options in the county with decent I/C experience. Knowing Pat we will end up with Louis Mulqueen getting the gig for a couple of years before Davy is brought back in.

3 Likes

Ger Cunningham, coached UCC this year in fitzgibbon. Had a disastrous term as Dublin manager. They were sitting together at Cork v KK 20s game apparently

Armagh sticking with McGeeney for another 2 years. I s’pose he’s getting all he can out of a modest collection and taking it handy enough on the diesel costs…
Oh wait…

2 Likes

Jack O’Connor was a brilliant manager for Kerry.

However he had a vast array of top footballers there. He won’t have anything near that in Kildare.

Has Jacko retired from the day job?

Didn’t realise Daniel Flynn had withdrawn from the squad voluntarily until Cian O’Neill was on OTB at the weekend. Just presumed he was injured. Can see that happening more and more.

I know a lad taught there with him a few years ago. Jack showed in when the humour suited him. A very flexible contract lets say.

Shrewd manager but made a bollox of 2011 final I thought… Bringing on galvin very early, Donaghy was destroying dubs and then moved… It was the catalyst for the era of dublin dominance…

Yeah - fair point. But his movement of Donaghy onto the wing against a young James McCarthy was shrewd in the first place.

He threw Declan O’Sullivan into full forward against the Dubs in 2009 and completely flummoxed them, the match was over after 20 minutes.

His best moment was against Mayo in 2004. He noted that Mayo had small forwards and thus their full back line was unlikely to face high balls in training. He started Johnny Crowley and Gooch and peppered high balls in on top of them. Match over after 15 minutes. That Mayo team had beaten Tyrone earlier in the Championship, the then defending champions.

He had the players though.

2 Likes

Think Kildare have a better squad than what they have looked under O Neill

Kildare are definitely a top 8 team if they had their full squad to pick from

Are you counting the horses?

I think all Wexford people will be worried about Clare coming back in for Davy. They’d be mad not to.