GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Have they had one since Dermot Healy?

Not at county level I think but he was the Messiah

Healy wrote a great article after Galway beat Tipp in the 87 semi. I read it online a long time ago.

Couldn’t do it with his own… set us back months

Does he have any managerial experience, even at club level?

It’s the Christy Ring Cup ffs. He’s amply qualified.

1 Like

What was Fennelly doing in LIT? Or is that the Thurles campus he’s on about??

Lecturer in nutrition I think.

S n c. Meant to be unreal too.

1 Like

Great appointment by Offaly. He will professionalise things straight away anyway

Mick Fennelly is a superb appointment by Offaly

Big name, has the right temperament, has been steadily building up experience in preparation for coaching

He’ll get rid of the lard off the lazy cunts in no time

The Cody coaching tree has already had superb success and will dominate the game for years to come

Kev would be rightly torn on this one. An S&C aficionado yet no real coaching experience.

Great appointment for both I think.

1 Like

He’ll set very high standards anyway. It’s a good job for him too, he’ll probably get them up first year round and stay another year in the Joe McDonagh and get them competitive in that and there’ll be another job waiting for him at that stage

The real losers here are Ballyhale who’ll need someone to step up at No. 6

With the appointment of Michael Fennelly it is clear that they just want to get fellas interested in playing with Offaly again. That’s half the battle. Under Kevin Martin and Joachim Kelly there was not much buy in and loads of players opting out. If players see a statement of intent by county board like in Laois, they don’t need much cajoling.

2 Likes

That is always where the value of big name outside managers is shown

People say outsiders don’t win All-Irelands but the sort of counties who are likely to win All-Irelands hardly ever need to bring in outside managers

If the 1990s Offaly team ever bought into their own hype about being lads who went to the pub on a Saturday night and went out and won an All-Ireland on the Sunday, it was after they retired - as can be shown from the universally disastrous efforts at management by players from that team

Offaly have been living off that imagined happy go lucky bullshit ethos for 20 years and look where it has them

Could this work???

1 Like

If he can’t get Offaly out of the Christy Ring Cup he should give it up .

1 Like

Fennelly hasn’t a hope of turning the biffs around. They’re a complete basket case

Yes mick o dywer case in point. He’s have the senior team training all over the county to create good will and attract players back. It’s much easier that way. If he can get his 15 best players on the pitch they’ll be back up very fast.