GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Would Gavin have done what Gilroy did ?

I don’t think so… Nor would gilroy have down what gavin did… I think the timing was perfect. Gilroy made them believe what hard work could do and gavin built on that with getting them to think about game more and maximising their talent.

Conroy seems well regarded in Vincents, played a lot hurling with them too is his prime I believe.

He did. The brother Vincent was a better hurler

Tommy Conroy was the coolest looking Gah footballer ever

He looked like the frontman in a punk rock band and played as stylishly with that lovely left foot

He doesn’t look like a punk rocker these days

did you puck as well as kick ball in Dublin GAA circles Fagan?

Vincent played senior hurling for Dublin?

yeah he seem to have a languid, laid back style of play too

I did yes. I played senior hurling until I was 37. Yes Vincent played for Dublin.

1 Like

Deceptively laid back, he was pretty quick

'83 was his peak though and I think that was his first year

He played for Dublin up until about '88, I saw him play for Dublin a good few times around then

He sort of symbolised the defiant upstart nature of what Dublin did in '83, along with Joe McNally and Kieran Duff, going into the bear pit of Pairc Ui Chaoimh and not giving one fuck

I think '83 is my favourite Dublin All-Ireland though I was too young for it, just the whole way it happened, it was unexpected, the last minute goal against Cork then beating them down there then beating Galway with the 12 Apostles

doesn’t seem to have had a long senior career with Dublin? why?

fair play Fagan, your club in Dublin had a good few dual lads if I am not mistaken

Don’t know, I was quite young when I saw him playing, I presume he just fell out of favour as new players came in, Dublin had a good bit of churn between 1988 and 1989, Keith Barr, Paul Clarke, Paul Curran etc. came in, Tommy Carr and Mick Deegan established themselves and Dave Foran came back after a long time away from the team, Vinny Murphy had already come in in 1988

1989 was pretty much the start of the team that would be mostly there up until 1995

There were a good few Dublin players in the 1980s who looked set to have long careers but didn’t - Conroy, Pat Canavan, Noel McCaffrey, Declan Bolger, Glen O’Neill

Did Glen o Neill not get a lengthy ban in his prime that curtailed his career? Might be mixing him up with someone else…

Funny man

1 Like

Dessie Farrell confirmed as Dublin manager.

1 Like

The right decision. John Costello doesn’t kick many wides.

Solid appointment. Lot of kudos built up with players and county board

Another 5 on the spin in the offing here

One ebullient, boisterous, excitable character replaces another.

4 Likes