GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Manic goalkeeper and water defences inventor Shane “Cake” Curran is taking the reins at Westmeath minnows Caulry. Cake got the little known Padraig Pearses to 2 Roscommon finals in his tenure (their only 2 appearances) so he may have some idea of how it’s supposed to work. I don’t understand what’s going on there at all apart from ching/ching.

He shit the pot in Offaly a few weeks back

Tom Cleere or someone would probably tell them all at the County Convention they had Pat Donnellon or Cian Dillon lined up to join the set up.

Clear

Stook

He’s a mad fucker, downed tools Saturday night but Daingean (I think) ploughed on to win.
You’d be closer to them than me but they’d be a decent club historically and weren’t throwing away their chance regaining status.

They pulled in one of the Meehans I think to manage in his absence. He’s cracked and not in a good way.

Thought Pat Flanagan managed pearses to a first championship last year and they got beaten in final this year?

1 Like

Beaten finalists 15/16 under Cake.
Clan na Gael and Brigid’s respectively.
Cake was in goals for Brigid’s when Frankeen Dolan swerved around possibly McCarthy to launch the winning point in the club final V Ballymun.
But they’ve moved up a gear since Cake’s days.

They must have serious backing because he’s also brought in a lad with a pretty high (online) profile to do the coaching.

Cake done alright with Pearses but the two finals he got to with them weren’t their only appearances. Known as bottlers they had lost three other finals in the few years previous to him taken over and had lost something like 8 without winning until Flanagan got them over the line last year playing like Jim McGuiness’s Donegal.
They would have been second favourites behind Brigids both years he was involved.
As far as i recall he started him management career with the same club hes with now Caulry about 10 years ago after he retired before coming out of retirement in 2013 for Brigids.
Will be getting well paid and has this Owen Mooney training the team doing all the work its a win win situation for him. Mooney is the Learning & Games Development Coordinator with Dublin county board

2 Likes

A level above a GDO? Allows him to do these nixers

They had a good lotto going a few years ago was at 20000 for nearly a year before going. Made a complete fortune off it but most clubs in our area pay ridiculous fees to managers.
My own club Clann Na nGeal paid Liam Kearns and a strength and conditioning coach over 30 grand between them last year. Well may have been lower with covid but that’s what was agreed this time last year. Outside Businessmen were funding him not the club but still mental money and hes back again next year. He was a major disappointment hasnt a scooby doo dont know why we are getting him back. Pat Flanagan is getting 25 grand a year(Half up front) with Pearses and he’s into his third year up with them. Brigids have paid outside and inside managers for years like, Anthony Cunningham, McStay and McHale, Frankie Dolan and Cake, Eddie O’Sullivan ex Ireland Rugby manager was paid to train them 2 years ago.
Accross the bridge into Athlone Frankie Dolan was getting 20 odd grand with Rosemount last two years and McHale got around that with Athlone Gaa last year

Thats fucking insane.

4 Likes

Crazy… My own club before Liam Kearns had local lads for 3 years and won Championship in 2018 but previous to that Paul Curran was getting 200 a night, two session and game/Session on weekend that’s 600 a week between 2015/2016. Fair enough we won our first championship in nearly 20 years in 2015 but still mad money

The coachers/trainers who have a few gigs must clear over €50k per year, tax free

One well regarded coach I know was with 3 teams last year.
One in Limerick and two in Kerry

I believe that most don’t charge by the session anymore or clubs won’t pay by the session. Most agree a flat fee for the year. Aside from a handful of huge clubs most of the figures mentioned are overinflated and b.s

You would do well to break 5 figures off your average club unless you have serious profile or they have an some ape bank rolling them with more money than sense.

I’d have a fair idea of rates etc but that sounds absolutely mental.

I think I went through this before, but say a lad was €100 a night.
You’ve 1 hour the night before planning the session
30 mins driving there,
2 hours at the field
30 mins driving home

That works out around €25 an hour.
Seems reasonable.

2 Likes