GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Brendan Cummins and Dalo still need the media work so it can’t be all that lucrative surely?

If you have a good outside man then it is worth the money and the money is hard enough earned. An awfu lot of clowns out there though who continually get gigs with little track record - supply and demand I suppose

1 Like

I have to say these are mental figures for rural clubs. Can some local expert not collate a plan and implement it? Madness.
It’s no wonder @TreatyStones is checking into hotels in Galway with the money he’s taking in from the Ballysteen club. Alternatively, Corofin may have called him for interview.
That aside, I’m surprised at the enormous amounts of moolah sloshing around.

3 Likes

And none of these clubs can afford to pay 50% of a GPO’s salary like the Dublin clubs do. I wonder why that is

1 Like

So you’re saying, Dublin clubs can pay the Manager and the GPO. And have the GPO subsidised by the GAA.

Thats even worse.

JS? I think he’d a club down on Waterford aswell!

1 Like

It’s a strange auld cottage industry. There are two fellas in the club I’m involved in. Neither would ever be considered to manage either of the adult hurling or football first teams as they simply don’t have the temperament or communication skills for it and neither would be particularly good coaches but they are relatively young, passionate and interested.

Both went off and talked their way into two fairly big clubs as the senior camogie and ladies football teams. The fella with the camogie team was removed half way through the season but the other chap won a county title with what as an already strong ladies side. He parlayed that gig into a gig training an adult men’s team in a neighboring county and probably pocketing 7k or 8k tax free for his troubles.

3 Likes

Playing the poor mouth while paying 30 grand a year to some of the carpetbaggers mentioned above? You couldn’t make it up. Cake Curran is one of the greatest whingers and he coining it as a journeyman manager.

3 Likes

While some stories are true A lot of money stories are pure bullshit , Billy big bollox making a ‘fortune’

1 Like

'Twould keep you in a daycent motor if nothing else. Nice coin for lads with an interest.

And way less hassle than managing your own club.

3 Likes

Agreed.

I still can’t believe Dublin clubs can pay all that though. I couldn’t believe Westmeath and Roscommon clubs could pay that to a manger, but the Dublin clubs to have even more to spend.

The rest of us are at nothin

Clann na nGael GAA Club - GPO Vacancy (clanngaa.ie)

My club are currently on the look out.

Best of luck with it there is at least 2 GPO’s in Dublin who are originally from Roscommon so maybe one of them will go for it.

Are the county board contributing to the salary?

Do Games Development Officers get a mileage expense on top of their basic salary?

Are Clann na nGael a town team?

Liam Kearns got 30k a year off Aherlow back in 2009/2010 in Tipp and very nearly toppled the mighty Dr. Crokes.

1 Like

How much technical actual know how is involved to coach most teams? Fuck all I’d say below senior level. If you had a fella who could communicate, organise and do the S and C I’d say it wouldn’t make much difference if he’d any background in a sport at most amateur levels. Getting fellas fit and pulling the one way is 90% of it IMO

1 Like

A lot of the problems us the players. In every club in the country there is a fellow good enough to coach, manage the adult team. But the players will not accept him, they want a big name coack, no matter if he is a spoofer

2 Likes

That’s it exactly we have had better inside managers than some of the big name that have come in but when an outsider comes in at the first training session you will have every cunt in the parish up.

Peddlerscross Clann were a rural club and the pitch would be 5/10 minutes outside Athlone but Monksland a suburb of Athlone would be one of the most populated areas in Roscommon now and that’s within the parish and has grow bigger a good bit in the last 20 years.

Ah you definitely need to know what your at in terms of putting together sessions, improving incoming players, adapting games to suit upcoming games, opposition etc. You’d be doing around 80 sessions a year so if the training sessions themselves aren’t good then things will fall flat very quickly.

We’d a string of coaches over a few years back and it was something we reflected on afterwards. There was very few years where you were able to pick out players and say they improved as footballers over the course of the season. For a small club to survive it’s vital that you continuously have new lads coming in who are improving all the time.

4 Likes