GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

He’ll be able afford his own box next year now at least. We wont all need to share ours with him.

Is there any chance we could get Donal O’Grady to Wexford? Pleeeeeeeeeease?

He’s going training the Barrs U-16’s next year. Seriously.

McIntyre could be reappointed by the clubs according to reports tonight.

Donal McIntyre for Galway, and Clare, and Limerick, and Waterford, and Wexford, all at the same time.

Great. That’ll keep Galway down for at lest another year.

Ah, I suppose we’re not up to that standard anyway.

You said it Fitzy.

Looks as though the Waterford Senior job is between Fergal Hartley, Michael Ryan and Stephen Frampton

Fergal Hartley has pulled out of the running for the Waterford job

I am wondering if any of these hurling jobs going at the moment would tempt Daly away from Dublin.

Fao the Kilkenny lads, how would McGarry be rated as a coach? Being reported today that he’s going to be taking the Waterford job with Jason Ryan.

Teddy MacCarthy was in O Moore Park today.

So I take it you’re implying he’s in the running for the Laois job. Has he any track record other than to be involved in 2 Cork managements that never got to actually manage? He’s aired some choice views over the years, could be a very entertaining 3-4 months.

Has it really?

Well, I’m not from Kilkenny but McGarry has coached Ballyhale to their last All Ireland and “apparently” he had a coaching role in his last couple of years with the senior panel.

Doubt this is true or will materialise.

I was of the opinion he was cat melodeon, but I know very little about the man from a management pov. He was sitting in the vicinity of the Co Chairman and I very much doubt he was there for the standard of hurling so it seems like he is in line for the job. I’d have preferred to see some young hungry fella, along the lines of a Jason Ryan wrt Wexford, but looks like we’re getting this fella.

And there we go. Not sure yesterday counts as an exclusive mind.

McCarthy accepts Laois role
26 September 2011
Cork legend Teddy McCarthy is poised to become Laois’ new hurling manager.

The former dual star, who famously won All-Ireland hurling and football medals in 1990, will become the O’Moore County’s fifth manager in seven years and succeeds Kilkenny man Brendan Fennelly, who stepped down after just one season in charge in the wake of last June’s humiliating 34-point All-Ireland qualifier defeat to Cork.

Now McCarthy is set to be handed the onerous task of lifting spirits after one of the heaviest defeats ever suffered by the midland county. On the plus side, Laois are due to play in Division 1B of next year’s National League, though they could find themselves back in a less competitive Division 2 if the eight leading hurling powers force the GAA into a U-turn regarding the new structures that were approved by Central Council recently.

Formerly involved with his native Sarsfields, McCarthy has served as a Cork under 21 selector under Ger Fitzgerald for the past two seasons and has steered Bandon to a Cork IHC final which will be played on Sunday week.

His name will be put forward for ratification in the coming week by a sub-committee which includes Laois chairman Brian Allen, hurling chairman Kieran Delaney and former players Pat Critchley and Andy Dunne, with his appointment seen a mere formality.

Not a hope. That’s too good a project to walk away from.

John Allen going to Limerick?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0927/1224304802332.html

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 154902”]And there we go. Not sure yesterday counts as an exclusive mind.

[/quote]

Kev or Turrene would be far better placed to call this but I would have thought this a poor appt, very poor. Legend in Cork but strange character I would have thought