GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

According to the Indo this morning, Ciaran is the frontrunner for the job.

Agreed. Thank God we dont have a drink culture in Laois is all I can say.

Davy is the only candidate for the Clare job that is up for discussion tonight at a CB meeting.

3 Astonishing appointments if they all come to be. Allen will do nothing for Limerick, Davy will ruin a great crop of young Clare players and Laois hurling is actually doomed.

I particularly feel for Laois, there is onviously a core bunch of serious hurling people (and decent hurlers) there but they will be set back at least 3 years to every one he’s there. Now the only thing, and its a long shot, is that Teddy would have Bertie Og with him, that would change everything. Teddy is indeed a legend, of epic proportions, but is also a raving lunatic. Bertie Og Murphy is truly one of the gerat coaches and man managers in Cork hurling, massively under utilized by his own county in my opinion and terribly unfiortunate to be around for the strikes. If he is on board Laois could be ok, he tends to keep Teddy on a tight leash.

I have said many times what a bluffer i think Davy is and Clare have been sold up the swanny here, and John Allen :blink: .

He’d fit in well in Laois so. Or Limerick :blink:

No one would waste their time putting their name forward if he wants it.

So was he appointed? This could well end up as a civil war in An Clar. Decades from now, families will still be split, brothers will not talk to each other ever again.

His father (the county secretary) is going to appoint a sub-committee to assess his suitability :smiley:

The sub commitee will consist of people with the surname Fitzgerald no doubt. I sincerely hope Davy is appointed, it will make the summer of 1998 seem mildly interesting in comparison to the hi jinks that will no doubt ensue when Davy becomes overlord of Clare.

Mushrooms as Loughnane called them.

I think it might go alright in year one. But bear in mind that we’re stuck with him now for the best part of ten or twenty years, at least until the point is reached where his aul lad is gone and we can remove him without hiring a hitman.

:smiley:

I think Davy will be a great appointment for Clare. I wish him every success.

He will improve us to a certain extent alright. we are miles off the required standard in terms of fitness and physicality and this needs to be rectified. We are an awfully callow side and as the last 15 minutes of the League final and the first 20 of the Galway game showed when teams get a run on us we are powerless to stop them. i am by no means Davy’s biggest fan but I do think that a lot of peoples views of him are a bit distorted due to the way he carry on during and after games which we could do without alright but he does have very high standards in terms of the level of commitment he will want from a young squad and will run a far more “professional” set up than the Sparrow. He will improve us, of that i have no doubt given the age profile of the squad and the rabble we currently are it won’t take much to be seen as improving things anyway. but how far he will improve us is another question. My main worry is that in 3 or 4 years time when a fresh voice/change in management is needed I can’t see him wlaking away too quietly and it could well lead to more bad blood/political struggles.

He has done a solid enough job with Waterford IMHO, obviously the two hammerings take a nice bit of gloss off it, but of the available options he is probably the best available at the moment given how poor the 21’s were this year and others like Daly are unavailable.

The first ten minutes against Tipp certainly proved you have a few handy hurlers, the most mental 10 minutes of the championship this year.

There is plenty of natural hurling talent available. Our minor and 21’s sides of the past 4 or 5 years have been full of fine stylish hurlers but the problem we have is that we are at a point were we have too many nice light top of the ground hurlers and not enough lads who can do the spade work. For all that we have had some very good sides all of them were really lacking natural full backs and centre backs, which is also a problem at senior level. Our backs while all being revativelty tidy hurlers are powder puff when it comes to the physical stakes. This is further exaserbated by the fact that we lost so many experienced lads from the fall out from the end of the Mike Mac reign when either their confidence or apetite for I/C hurling was eroded

Surely you could get the likes of the Lohans and the legend that is Seanie McMahon involved in some way to show the path to true defensive greatness Chewie?

For all that Brian Lohan was an excellent player, he is supposedly an average coach according to those who have trained under him. Seanie along with the likes of Jamsie O’Connor and Brian Quinn are heavily involved in the underage set up and the development of the frameworks which have us as competitive at underage level as we have ever been. Seanie & Lohan both have young families so probably wouldn’t have the time to commit to an I/C set up anyway.

We will be back but we need to bridge the gap in terms of fitness and physicality before we will be competing and winning games on a regulr basis again. Davy will improve us in this regard no doubt, whether he will improve other aspects is hard to know

What Davy needed was a year off, a year to reflect, go to alot of games and take it all in again and learn from the mistakes. Jumping from one straight into another doesn’t give him time for reflection, which IMO is huge for any aspiring manager.

I don’t think you can underestimate his bull shit has on the team, even waterford, it can only bring you so far, you need substance. Organisation and fitness are givens nowadays, if thats all he’ll bring ye’ll waste a generation.

Clare need a technical coach, not a guy like Davy.

Tis easy say he needs a year off, but the fact is that if he didn’t take the job now there is a very strong possibility that he wouldn’t get it in 2 or 3 years time when it is available again. Especially given that Daly would more than likely be finished with Dublin at that point and the current minor management may well have strengthened their claims by continuing their good work at 21’s level. For all that WTB talks about his auld lads power and what not, he is the full time secretary and he is 4 years into a 7 year term and would be gone from the role when the next manager is appointed

All the reports I hear are that he is a first class coach.