GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Tally is rumoured to be taking a year out from his Belfast gig.

1 Like

Would still need to be decent money involved you’d imagine. Think he has a youngish family too. Galbally to Kerry must be a 5 hr min commute one way. He’d want to be getting 50 or 60k to be taking that role up to justify the amount of work and time involved.

Was Diarmuid Murphy there under Fitzmaurice?

Nothing worse than someone like that…

Do you know those life coaches who’ve never actually achieved anything in their lives but tell people exactly what you need to do to be succesful, despite their only success being as a shit talking life coach? That’s Quirke, but a football coach

3 Likes

Quirke tried the old take a rabble and get a bounce with them trick and even that didn’t work.

1 Like

In fairness there are rabbles and then there is Laois.

14 Likes

yes he was

Fitzmaurice did very well to get that all ireland out of kerry in 2014

He then came up against Dublin and couldnt master them but sure who could!!

You mention the lack of coaching talent in Kerry. Pat OShea managed kerry to a senior all ireland, Dr Crokes to a an all ireland title and is a Munster Council coach. Dr Crokes are the most successful football club in kerry for the last 20 years and he is the thick of coaching , structures in the club from kids right through to adult. His name doesnt get mentioned much even in Kerry - bit of an anti crokes then I feel

He has a basketball background too interestingly enough.

1 Like

O’Shea would need to quit his job I think as a paid Coach to manage Kerry?

Fitzmaurice became obsessed with Dublin in a very strange way. He’d have been better off concentrating on his own team.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that rule was changed.

1 Like

You were always allowed coach your own club as part of that rule, I assume that would extend to your own county.

I think the thing with Kerry is that the way Munster is such a hurling province, anything a Kerry team achieves pales in significance. Jacko and O’Shea have decent pedigree in what they have won but that would be expected, their All Irelands came against Cork and Mayo with due respect. They lost the big ones against Tyrone and Dublin.

The fact that they generally keep returning to the same faces say a lot.

The likes of Crokes and Kerry are expected to compete for All Irelands year in year out.

There’s not really a manager coming in and taking a Kerry club from say intermediate to senior champions in a short space. It’s more or less the big clubs doing as expected.

I’ve said it before but I’ve an issue with the Kerry Club Championship. I think it’s weighted to have their super clubs winning All Irelands rather than creating competitiveness. It’s elitism.

To me Kerry need a pragmatist, someone who is going to play his game and what’s best for the team an not bowing to any sort of romantic or traditional bullshit and I think you need to be of very strong character to do that in Kerry. As I said despite Fitzmaurice having the voice on an undertaker I think he is by far the best candidate but I also think returning to an old manager is not the best idea though it hasn’t really done Mayo too badly during a big rebuild process.

Would Murphy be rated down there? He seemed a very vocal presence on the sideline from what I remember. I’ve my views on Quirke and I’d worry about someone like that on the ticket, think he might lack the gravitas to know his place in the setup.

I think O Connor is a good appointment … him and Keane had the minor successes … Keane had his shot now it’s o Connor’s , he’ll know what it takes .

What’s O’Connor’s biggest win in intercounty management?

The 2006 victory over Armagh? Anything stand out aside from that?

The point I make is that Kerry were more of less expected to win every game they played around that time.

He lost big Championship games to Tyrone x2, Down, Donegal and Dublin. For me he lost more big knockout games than he won.

1 Like

Whatever about who is on the sideline for Kerry, the players need to have a look at themselves and their execution of skills under pressure. Running down blind alleys, ballooning balls in the air and playing 50:50 kick passes on wet days against blanket defences are particular weaknesses.

Was he manager when they won in 2009 when Mike MacArthy was brought back in ? They obliterated a fancied Dublin…that was a remarkable turnaround for a team that limped past Sligo , Longford or Antrim was it? I thought he was very shrewd … he did make a few mistakes in 2011 alright … not starting galvin and then whipping o Leary off early to introduce galvin…if you accept Tyrone were the best team in noughties then surely getting to within a kick of a ball of them twice is good going …

08-11 was a weakish era and he picked up 1 AI in that period.

Look at the other winners.

A past it Tyrone
A middling Cork
A fairly workmanlike Dublin that only peaked years later

I used to think Jack was no fool. But to draw the likes of Tally onto himself and what that’ll lead to in Kerry makes me question that.

2 Likes

In Jack’s book, he mentions a meeting in late 2005, in the Crowne Plaza in Blanchardstown with an Ulster Coach who enlightened him on tackling drills etc.

Must have been Tally who had fallen out with Harte in Tyrone a year previously.