GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

He managed an average Austin Stacks team to a county senior title in 2014, doing okay with Killarney Legion now

Native of Listowel, played with them, no involvement in inter county management at under age or adult

3 Likes

O’Cinneide has been involved with the Gaeltacht seniors, Moynihan had success with an outstanding East Kerry under 21 bunch and I think he was over junior\intermediate club side over east kerry way

Stack was a sub in 1986 v Tyrone Fulvio, might jog your memory! somehow hung in there to get a medal as a starter in 1997 and bridge the two era’s. fair going to have been around 11 years later

2 Likes

Isnt Wallace in the RA

He’d be from Ferris country alright.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0923/1248665-former-dubs-u21s-manager-fortune-takes-westmeath-reins/?fbclid=IwAR3I-d2QG6DrDDv26Iep19diRxD08kyZGvQdYS6GXXwTNtY5bSAVvpSo5Go

@Big_Dan_Campbell @Bod95 what happened to poor Davy here?

1 Like

Welcome back Jack.

By God

Thought Stephen Stack’s super team would get it

Kerry are a shambles

Diarmuid Murphy and Quirke on the ticket. Had been rumoured Paddy Talty would be involved.

Jack will win the League, Munster and All Ireland in Year 1.

As did I seemed like a progressive set up

Uninspiring enough back room team.

I see Fogarty says the Gooch could yet be thrown into the pot.

That’s Davy to Galway as good as confirmed

Davy didn’t even get a nomination apparently according to the Connacht Tribune today.

Tally will put Kerry back 50 years

There’s a bang of the Shane smith about Quirke - prob brings tennis balls to training instead of footballs. Tally might steel them up at the back

Woah, Woah, I bring tennis balls to training.

Are you saying John Morrison was a bad coach?

We never use the word bad here, just a coach that’s not the same as others.

5 Likes

Tally would be excellent for Kerry but there’d be serious expenses involved if he takes that role on.

He’s a lecturer in St Mary’s in Belfast so he’d need to be getting some wedge to go down to Kerry twice a week.

Anytime I’ve heard Quirke on the radio he comes across as an absolute gombeen, the sort of smug, arrogant Kerry lad who talks about other teams in a patronising way, don’t really think there is much to him from what I’ve heard and he hasn’t been too successful today. He is probably the type of chap who I would imagine rubs players up the wrong way.

Jacko is a strange one, he doesn’t really seem to be too much of a modern/progressive coach - watching Kildare under him they didn’t really seem to have any identity about them as a team, you couldn’t tell whether they were defensive or attacking or what they set out to do. Is he a bit of a dinosaur? His time with the u20s didn’t go particularly well.

There seems to be a lack of coaching talent in Kerry at the minute, for all the flak he got I though Fitzmaurice was a good manager, very pragmatic which didn’t sit too well with some of the Kerry purists but you play matches to win and I thought he did that well, winning an All Ireland with an average and aging Kerry side in 2014. He didn’t have the same quality of player as Keane or O’Connor had before him but his teams seemed to have a lot more steel about them.

Donaghy, O’Se and O’Sullivan are all on the management/coaching circuit now so I’d say they will be looking at taking this on in the coming years. Think Kerry would have been best looking outside the county at present, the fact that they are in the south west corner of Ireland and surrounded by hurling counties probably makes it difficult for an outside manager to come in.

I don’t think it’s a very shrewd appointment but there were not many standout candidates in this regard.

4 Likes