GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

They play a lot of basketball in Castleisland bizarrely enough

Shane Enright, Anthony Maher and Paddy Kelly probably the only county men from the region in the last 30 years.

Add in the two Kennelleys and Brendan Guiney (even though he hardly appeared for them) from Listowel and you aren’t far off I’d say

Finuge is North Kerry. Paul Galvin, Eamon Fitzmaurice, Eamon Breen, Jimmy Deenihan.

Shannon Rangers is a divisional team.

Eoin Liston and Ogie Moran were Beale.

Patrick Curtin (RIP) played for Moyvane. John Kennedy of the 1984 team was Ballylongford.

Another element in Kerry town teams being strong is that in Tralee and Killarney gaelic football is undoubtedly the number one sport due to the glamour and prestige of Kerry football whereas in a lot of other counties soccer would be at least on a par in the big towns.

Kerry is all about the county team. Club football really only gets in the way.

As things should be and are in the successful counties. Ironically enough that relative disregard for club football and focus on the county team makes the club game stronger in those successful counties.

During the club season, Woolie usually mispronounces and mangles at least one club name per podcast episode.

Makes the club game stronger? I dont know about that.

The GAA is strong in the 2 biggest towns Tralee and Killarney, would put other large towns in the country to shame

Tralee has 5 vibrant GAA Clubs within the town boundary

Austin Stacks and Kerins O’Rahillys are senior football
John Mitchels and Na Gaeil are intermediate football
Tralee Parnells hurling club founded 10 years ago play intermediate hurling, good numbers underage with genuine ambition and prospect of playing senior hurling in the next 3 to 5 years

Killarney has 2 senior football clubs within the town boundary Dr Crokes and Legion. Spa are now senior football as well and their area is part town\part countryside. Dr Crokes field 2 adult hurling teams and played senior hurling championship for the first time ever in 2021

On the other side of the coin, Listowel is a disgrace, no hurling in the town even though very close to the hurling territory in North Kerry and they are a bad junior football team at this stage

6 Likes

Don’t Spa consider themselves a Killarney club?

I would say they do Jay, as far as I am aware, they select from the town and countryside, Killarney has a rural side to it where they are based

Fossa be similar ?

Listowel got promoted back up to Division 2 this year after a few years in Division 3. A young team trying to rebuild.

A whole generation there were wasted, so let’s hope the new crop don’t go down the same path.

I think Fossa are near 100% rural but again their territory runs right up to the town, another indicator of the strength of the GAA in the area

in what way

they should be a good intermediate football side minimum with the pick they have, promoting a bit of hurling wouldnt be any harm either, all the hurling clubs are close to them

They crossed the line partying.

Absolutely disgraceful plagiarism in today’s Independent.

Hello Conor.

3 Likes

Not sure they were wasted so