GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I did a bike race in Knockanure once. A bitch of a course.

1 Like

On drugs is an emotive phrase.

Anyway it’s much higher. Most students are using alcohol as their drug of choice.

Is Billy from a family of publicans?

Knockanure both mane and poor,
A church without a steeple.
Bitches and Hoors looking out half doors,
criticising dacent people

3 Likes

I was out boozing with a lad from Moyvane in Docs (RIP). Some wan asked where he was from and he told her. Later she asked me if he really lived in a van.

4 Likes

I was in a Kerry man’s company one time who was chatting up a fine looking young lady and it seemed to be going well. All of a sudden he’s over alongside me saying come on, we’ll head away.

“What went wrong” says I, “she seemed very keen on you?”

“I asked her what part of Kerry she was from and she said Newtownsandes. Only Protestants or cunts with notions call it that” :laughing:

14 Likes

Davy is such box office that even the Indo have gone to bat for him to get the Galway job.

Davy Fitzgerald may split opinion in Galway but his status at the top level of hurling is undeniable

Donnchadh Boyle

Davy Fitzgerald

Davy Fitzgerald

September 29 2021 08:18 PM

As it stands, it’s 35 years not out for Davy Fitzgerald when it comes to his involvement in inter-county hurling. It is the habit of his lifetime.

So when news emerged from Galway that Micheál Donoghue would not be returning to the hot seat, it was only natural that Fitzgerald would be linked. At club games last week, it was widely expected that Donoghue would return to see if he could coax another gallop out of many of the side he led to an All-Ireland title in 2017. His withdrawal leaves the county in a state of flux.

Many felt that if Donoghue wanted it, they would not stand in his way. So it begs the question, how different would the shortlist have looked had he never been under consideration? How many stood aside to clear the road for Donoghue?

Fitzgerald is understood to have been in that category. The esteem Donoghue is held in meant Fitzgerald was unlikely to throw his hat in the ring. But that has changed now, and the lure of Fitzgerald won’t have gone unnoticed for an appointment committee now charged with a very different task.

Whether Fitzgerald is the right fit for Galway is as much a philosophical question as anything. It speaks to where Galway see themselves right now and where they think they can go.

Do they try and eke another gallop out of the bones of the 2017 side? Or do they look a little further down the line towards the four-in-a-row of minor All-Ireland-winning teams?

Former Wexford manager Davy Fitzgerald. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile

Former Wexford manager Davy Fitzgerald. Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile

Not for the first time in his career, Fitzgerald has split opinions. Former Galway goalkeeper James Skehill, who played under Fitzgerald in LIT in the mid-2000s, insists Fitzgerald is not the right man for the job.

“It just doesn’t fit with Galway,” he told ‘OTB AM’
earlier this month. “I think when he went to Wexford the county as a whole were looking for a bit of rejuvenation.

“The team were looking for a level of professionalism in management that they hadn’t seen before and he brings that with him. I don’t think Galway are in need of rejuvenation.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Others feel like he could be just the man to pull something from an undoubtedly talented group. And that coming from the outside in, free of any undue influence, might be exactly what Galway need.

It wasn’t difficult to make the case that of all the sides out there, Galway were best placed to tackle Limerick given their physicality and skill set. Defeats to Dublin and Waterford this year damage those claims but in 2020 they were as close to toppling the Treaty County as anyone. There is surely some fizz in the bottle of the current squad.

What is undeniable is Fitzgerald’s ability to make an immediate impact. In that regard his CV speaks for itself as the only manager to win titles in both Leinster and Munster. For 14 years he bounced around Waterford, Clare and Wexford.

Waterford reached an All-Ireland final in 2008 when he took over mid-summer after much upheaval that saw Justin McCarthy move on. Two years later they won a Munster title, something they haven’t managed since.

With Clare, he claimed an All-Ireland title after a memorable replay against Cork in 2013. The Banner have largely fallen well short of that level since.

He repeated the trick in Wexford, turning the tables on their biggest rivals Kilkenny before securing a first Leinster title in 15 years in 2019.

There’s the other side to that coin too. Fitzgerald’s management style isn’t to everyone’s tastes and there have been off-field spats with former Clare team-mate Brian Lohan as well as with Paul Galvin from when the pair were managing in Wexford.

Fitzgerald’s Wexford experiment ended on a whimper, as some Fitzgerald teams tend to, perhaps exhausted from the effort of the early seasons.

Crucially, Louis Mulqueen, a selector when Clare won the All-Ireland in 2013, has helped Liam Mellows to a Galway title of late. His knowledge of the club scene could be invaluable should Fitzgerald turn to him. And perhaps most significantly of all could be Fitzgerald’s long-standing relationship with Joe Canning.

Whoever takes over Galway will surely look to test the water with the Portumna man and his decision to retire. Canning has already reiterated that he is not for turning in terms of his call to walk away from inter-county hurling but perhaps with a winter’s recuperation and overtures from Fitzgerald that could change.

It’s hard to credit that Canning, with his wealth of talent, still doesn’t have something to offer Galway.

The knockout stages of the club championship will start in a few weeks’ time and the county’s top brass are keen to have Shane O’Neill’s successor in place.

With Donoghue out of the running, the plates have shifted fundamentally. Fitzgerald’s credentials are undeniable. It is the habit of his lifetime.

Davy Fitzgerald becoming Galway manager ‘would not be great loyalty’ to Wexford, says Model County great Larry O’Gorman

Amidst speculation that Davy Fitzgerald could be in contention for the Galway senior hurling manager role, Wexford legend Larry O’Gorman opined that taking the job would diminish Fitzgerald’s loyalty to the Model County.

Wexford great Larry O’Gorman says that Davy Fitzgerald taking the Galway job would diminish his loyalty to the Model County.

The Clare native stepped down from the Slaney-siders this summer, after five years at the helm during which he led them to a Leinster title.

Fitzgerald’s availability has seen him linked with the vacant Galway managerial role in recent weeks. And after reports that Micheál Donoghue has pulled out of the running, the former Banner shot-stopper could be in contention to take over the Tribesmen.

“It would be very strange to see Davy after he leaving us and then he would go to the opposition straight away,” O’Gorman opined.

"You would not be calling it great loyalty, to be honest. Davy had done a good job with Wexford over the years but in the last year or two it just ran its legs and he tried to stretch it out as much as possible.

"Now that he is gone, he is not in a job at the moment. He said he wants to take a year or two out but who knows, if there is an opportunity for Davy somewhere else… to say one week Davy loves Wexford and the following week then he loves Galway or Dublin so it is very hard to take.

"When you are fully committed to a county I think you should stick with that county and then take a break for a couple of years after that. It is really down to himself. Your loyalty and love for a county only sticks with you when you are with that county apparently.

"I think when you move on you want to give it a rest for a wee while. Maybe, go for some other challenge, maybe take over a football county somewhere just to give himself a break from hurling!

“How can you train a team for a number of years and then jump ship to train another team to beat you after you being so loyal to them?”

And O’Gorman feels a native manager is a more proven recipe for success.

“The great managers of the past, even at the moment with Brian Cody and Jim Gavin, Sean Boylan, Mick O’Dwyer, these great managers who were just loyal to themselves and to their own county people. Okay, Micko moved onto Kildare and Laois and Wicklow but in general most counties are successful with their own managers,” he noted.

“Personally, I think there should be someone within your own county good enough to take it over, whether it is hurling or football. In general, I can’t understand why so many fellows go further afield now.”

Nonetheless, O’Gorman is optimistic around the arrival of Tipperary native Egan as Wexford boss.

“It sort of came in under the radar, to be honest,” he said. "There was a lot of talk about Eddie Brennan, there was talks about Anthony Daly, there was talks about JJ Doyle, even Liam Dunne’s name was mentioned again.

"Darragh Egan’s name wasn’t heard of. Brendan Cummins’ was mentioned, William Maher, who was involved with my own club is a great hurling guy, he was also mentioned.

"But no one knew about Darragh Egan, we didn’t know much about him. I know he was in the [Tipperary] backroom team with Liam Sheedy. It sort of came out of the blue.

"No one really knows much about him and maybe that is the best thing could happen to Wexford - a guy that comes in fresh, who we know very little about, and he might bring a whole new life to hurling in general. Maybe he will have new ideas and new plans and maybe so that it will be just about Wexford rather than being about the manager that takes over.

"For some reason, it just seems we are improving a little bit once we get outside managers. There are no strings attached with anyone, with players tied to in-house managers and stuff like that. Having an outsider coming in could be a blessing, that he comes in with a clean slate.

"I think now that Davy is gone, the hype brigade in Wexford over the last three years is done and dusted. It is time to start from scratch.

“It is going to be two years at least to get the ball up and running, but he is a good hurling man and has a great knowledge of the game.”

Davy will have Galway purring.

They aren’t actually considering it are they :grinning:

No one knows better than Davy how to get the best from Joe Canning

1 Like

They’ll be right for the big one next year, the league game with Limerick

4 Likes

Is Davy going to get this gig out of pure perseverance? Cyril Farrell actively touting for him behind the scenes.

Is it possible that it’s not a very sought after gig at the moment? Big shoes to fill (in the team) and high expectations

Davy is by far and away the best qualified man for the job.

Larry sounds like a lad who falls in love with a hooker and then is heartbroken to find out she is off riding other fellas.

34 Likes

It’s not fair on Limerick that when we finally get out shit together the likes of tipp and Galway decide to throw their hat at it altogether. A childish and petulant attempt to undermine our greatness.

If you were presented with a Davy, and you needed a Davy, you’d be mad not to take the Davy

1 Like

He was doing so well til he gave Micko as an example …

1 Like

Larry “ Brother “ hates Davy.

Does Larry seriously think Davy should sit at home serving some sort of gardening leave period :smiley:

6 Likes