GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

That boy Gallen might save us. He’s currently unstoppable in the club championship. Racking up mad scores.

People can throw all sorts of shit at me but I’d be very confident in 20 years time but we’ll look back over this period and just hang our heads in shame at what was done to our games.

You hear the millions invested in county teams and it’s completely alien to the product out on the field for the majority of the games.

1 Like

I think Donegal have a very good group of players in prime age profile and McGuinness will knock them into shape very quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if he knocks an All-Ireland out of them.

1 Like

I’ve been calling this since 2020.

These young lads coming through just don’t have it

The YHOTY/YFOTY have become a joke and seem to be officially gone to U22 now since i see Ethan Doherty is nominated for the Football one.

1 Like

Will that continue to be case going forward though? Looking at underage results then Kilkenny won’t be enjoying the sustained success of 2000-2015 again anytime soon. Cork are coming alright but they’d want to be after almost 19 years without an All-Ireland. The likes of Galway and Clare (and Limerick obviously) are now more consistent contenders than was traditionally the case. It’s a pity Waterford have lost their way after 20-25 years of consistent competitiveness.

My own opinion is Cork will be the next big team after this limerick cycle ends.

Hurling in Kilkenny and Mid/North Tipp is the only show in town. Kilkenny will continue to bring their intensity/competitiveness and Tipp will still have their snipers in Cooper helmets although it may not be as fruitful with the current mish mash of rugby league type hurling the limericks have developed.

Limerick are now part of the big 4.

2 Likes

+1. 100% agree about Cork. By 2025/26 they’ll be a serious force.

Cork probably have the best chance but they’ve already lost one very good prospect to rugby. Limerick didn’t lose one.

One player can make a huge difference.

If Kyle Hayes went playing rugby in 2017 it could have been a very different story for limerick.

4 Likes

Agreed. There’s a ‘win at all costs’ mentality and a line that governs that which has been grossly overstepped in the GAA. I see fantastic talents in the intercounty scene leaving to work in Australia or the middle east or spending their summers ballin’ in the U.S. which I would never begrudge as I suspect the level of commitment and absence of enjoyment in being part of a club or county is now reaching insanity levels, amidst the drive for unsustainable standards for an unpaid individual.

1 Like

Cork need to win one soon if someone told me as a child in the late 70s when I was brought to matches they would go through their current barren period it would have been nonsense talk…we were used to losing for so long Cork aren’t it must me the longest streak of the big 3 at this stage.

1 Like

I got a price of 40/1 for him to do it in his first year, but even I don’t believe he’ll manage that. It’s possible that he’ll get an All-Ireland if the best in the county commits as I believe we’ve enough untapped potential for him to achieve that, however I fear that the current bunch aren’t as steely as the 2011 crew and I have great doubts that they’ll let themselves be driven to the point of madness required for a successful tilt.

The 90s.

Cork won two in the 90s. They are heading into 19 years now which must be the longest gap of the former big 3 by a distance.

They just need a sports psychologist and they’ll all win the all Ireland

Aye but there was a 5 year period when the big three didnt win one

2 spins of Davy Fitz would do that to you.

I think Bod’s concern was for the Cork streak alone.

You’d think Clare or Galway would give us a hand to emulate that gap in the 90s but we’ll probably have to do it ourselves.

3 Likes

I read it wrong. I think talk of Cork coming might be fanciful. They aren’t just going to replace Harnedy and Horgan, they’re both generational. They still havent a full back or a goalie.

Unfortunately i think clare will have a few all irelands after this limerick cycle

1 Like

Not a huge distance. Tipp went from 71 to 89 (and even 89 has a huge ****)

7 Likes

I was just clearing the way for a couple of mild digs.