GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

A club team with talent…

A club team with ambition…

A club team with a manager who has worked well with Gallagher before…

A club team with significantly financial clout…

A club team who dont give a fuck about PR…

Its Kilcoo or bust and it will be box office.

1 Like

She could easily go public again but I doubt that she’d have a whole lot more new to reveal so who knows if would have the same effect.

That said, if he gets back into inter-county it might be as a coach but not a manager.

I suspect he’d be best off doing a couple of years with a contending but not top club in one of the Ulster club competitions, ie. a club of the calibre of Carryduff, Warrenpoint, Maghery, Clann Eireann, Lavey, Dungannon Clarkes, etc.

Then find a figurehead to act as official manager for an inter-county team.

1 Like

Did Gallagher win an All Ireland?

Gallagher transformed Derry from a joke team into a top 3 team in Ireland who are genuine All-Ireland contenders. By any standards he utterly transformed them. Derry were at a much lower ebb than Donegal were when McGuinness took over. They were fresh out of Division 4 and hadn’t won a championship game of note in years. Donegal had reached an All-Ireland quarter-final just over a year before McGuinness took over and the backbone of the team had won a National League.

You can scoff at Gallagher’s transformation of Derry if you want but you shouldn’t then expect to taken seriously on football matters.

Where did I scoff at Gallagher’s record at Derry?

Funny thing is Gallaghers first few months with Derry were underwhelming enough.

The Slaughtneil and Coleraine hurlers were involved in Club Championship into January 2020 and they weren’t ready for the League at all. I think they only drew with Leitrim in the first game and failed to get out of Division 3 that year.

Covid came at a decent time for them and by the time Championship came around in November, Glass was home and Doherty was finished school so they were able to cobble a half decent team together to give Armagh a right rattle.

This gave them a bounce to blitz through Division 3 and give Donegal a right rattle in 2021. After that Gallagher was telling the squad they could win the All Ireland and a lot of shrewd connoisseurs of the game like myself were aboard the 50/1 train for 2022 where for 35 minutes in an All Ireland Semi Final we dared to dream.

1 Like

The game against Armagh was lost because of a ridiculous attempt to kill the game and settle for the draw they needed. A backward pass bounced over the intended recipients head, Armagh were awarded a phantom free and that was it. Fine margins and nothing to do with being soft imo. Sean Kelly played on one leg and Comer not fit against Mayo.

I’ll give you the second half in 2021, that was absolutely galling yet virtually the identical team came within an ace of winning the all ireland the next year.

We have an excellent record against Nordie teams which is hardly an indication of being soft or gutless which is what was alluded to.

Of far more concern for me is the dire injury situation since the final in 22. Eleven of the starting fifteen that day have picked up serious injuries, multiple serious injuries in some cases (McDaid & Glynn) and in one case (Patrick Kelly), not been seen at all since.

Something is seriously wrong somewhere on those stats (unless we’re just soft :wink:).

2 Likes

There goes Seoirse.

Strange enough appt in the first place. League peetered out badly and Joe Mc looked like a fight against relegation.

Has Charleville to be focusing on too.

1 Like

Are Meath boxing well below their weight in hurling?

Was talking to a man that plays club hurling in Meath a few weeks back

The number of senior hurling clubs and adult hurling clubs was in excess of counties like Carlow, Kerry, Kildare, Westmeath, Down Hurling clubs in towns as well like Dunboyne, Rathoath, Trim, Asbourne. Navan O’Mahonys play hurling I think

A right little earner for someone now?

€20k for 10 weeks or so. Off to the Canary Islands then after relegation and a ball of excuses ready.

2 Likes

a scrap between Kerry and Meath as to who gets relegated

If Kerry can get Shane Conway and Luke Crowley back from injury they have a chance of survival, if not well then …

Are you throwing your hat into the ring?

1 Like

Thinking about it.

Will you come with me? I’ll pick up you up at the red cow.

You could be the running man.

Unfortunately for Meath, player turnover absolutely fucked them

Now, I can’t imagine how painful Bulfin is if he’s a cut off Davy Fitz, but I don’t care how good a manager you are, if you get promoted in League and Championship you are screwed the next year with player turnover. You need more players and more classy players.

If players left because of him, that’s another story

As for Meath, they’re probably at the level you’d expect of them as of now - Joe McDonagh

1 Like

Hurling Httc GIF by Bord Gáis Energy

1 Like

Poor auld Henry, fucked any chance he ever had of the Kilkenny job. A lucky escape for them

Joe Biden to replace him.