GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

For fuck sake. Thought you’d say Kildare or something doable for Antrim

1 Like

Will dublin ever win an all Ireland senior do you think? Obviously carlow and Westmeath and probably even Offaly won’t. Are Dublin in the same boat?

He’s a teacher lad, he’ll probably just take a few years off

Dublin in the same boat.

Fairly sure Dublin already have a few

They’ll surely get their house in order eventually. The sheer weight of numbers will get them there at some stage. Can’t see it this decade though

How many underage/senior hurlers would they have compared to the big hurling counties?

Dublin were not far away under Daly. They will be greatly helped by the footballers entering a (relatively) fallow period. That’s a bigger obstacle for them than anything else.

1000/1 on Antrim winning next year. Anyone gonna put down a sneaky tenner?

Winning what?

the championship

I think they have 2 home games in Leinster next year

2 Likes

So they do

A wise man told me 5/6 years ago that this generation won’t win one, it’ll be the next. I didn’t believe him then but I do now.

Dublin will need to start winning a few Leinsters, compete in Div 1a and take a few Munster scalps in championship first before winning an AI.

A start would be getting all the best players in the county to commit. Secondly would be eradicating the once a year non performance in championship.

I 100% believe there is a body of players presently capable of winning a Leinster title. They are a bit off Liam Mc though.

Cuala winning broke a few barriers. I’m on the record as saying Crokes will win a club AI in the next 5 years. Small things like that make a difference.

Slowly the football only dinosaurs in clubs are becoming extinct. They have held back hurling more than anyone. Some real bad eggs around the place who then would be more than happy take a clubs AI hurling final ticket allocation.

5 Likes

I was at a CCC1 meeting a few years ago in Parnell Park. There was a discussion about so many games being cancelled at the start of the year and some bright spark got up and said could Hurling games not be played earlier in the year and Football later in the year. Thats what youre up against in Dublin.

1 Like

The GAA will want a return on investment. God help whoever plays them if they muscle their way into an all Ireland. It will be fixed to ‘grow the game’

Dublin are in a completely different boat to Carlow and Westmeath.

They’re in a different boat to Offaly too, but the boats are around about level with each other.

Dublin’s biggest problem in hurling is the public doesn’t care. That filters through. The public cares in Offaly. Offaly are still at a lower level in pure hurling terms than Dublin but there’s a big chance of that rising considerably.

What Dublin need above all is a bitter rival that will make the public care in the way Kerry and Meath fulfilled that role for the footballers. Nobody in Dublin has a hatred for any of the strong hurling counties. The dynamic is that of the Newport Gwent Dragons playing Leinster.

What you need to build interest is for a young Dublin team to come along and play Kilkenny in a Leinster semi-final in Portlaoise and the game to go to two replays and there to be a mass brawl in the first replay with four players sent off. And to win by a point at the end of extra time in the third game. And for there to be a massive war of words in the press with managers squaring up to each other.

3 Likes

Dublin’s edge is physicality, speed over the teams around them at their level. McDonagh teams physically and teams that come up from McDonagh cant cope with them. Even Cork struggled with them this year, they ran Galway off the park.

Ah here, there’s only 9 hurling clubs in Carlow (5 of them senior). By comparison there’s 16 senior clubs alone in Dublin. There’s huge scope for development there.

I meant Dublin in the same boat of never winning a hurling All Ireland.