GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

There’s only 10 Senior teams in Dublin.

Even the really good Senior Clubs like Crokes, Na Fianna and Cuala are all Football first clubs traditionally and thats hard to overcome.

Dublin hurling is a bit too inoffensive really. All the serious Hurling Counties (i.e. Tipperary or counties that border Tipperary) would have no issue playing Dublin in a Challenge Match, whereas they’d think twice about playing each other.

1 Like

https://x.com/secondtierpod/status/1822932103379464543

Imagine doing this in Ireland these days :smile:

That’s like something from Celebrity Bainisteoir

Thats fucking mighty. I’d love to have seen some of the training ground interactions between him and Mario.

Kilmacud Crokes won their first SHCs in the 70s having contested finals in the 60s (and won one as just Crokes pre-amalgamation). They didn’t win their first football one until 1992. They’re effectively two clubs in some ways and there was nearly a split some years back over the place/status of hurling in the club.

Cuala were winning SHCs in the 80s and 90s before their phenomenal successes of recent years. They were also an amalgamation - of Dalkey Mitchells and Casements - that were primarily hurling in outlook. Football was always a secondary concern though they were handy enough at it at times - making SFC final in 88 for example and have consolidated their position as a senior football team in recent years. Na Fianna were traditionally stronger at football than hurling but someone on here will know more on that.

No more than our camogie teams, we’re a bit too nice and/or lack a bit of cuteness in that regard - for all our alleged physicality.

4 Likes

I’d imagine Crokes, Cuala and Na Fianna would still lose more hurlers to football than footballers to Hurling.

I was told that even when Cuala were at the height of their hurling success a few years back, what the hurling side was able to pull in from sponsorship, was dwarfed by what their footballers could bring in from Amgen.

@balbec is Queally’s claim to fame

At least 3 Waterford men with Limerick senior teams this year.

A devasting loss for us. But a chance to get Tony back in. He just gets us.

1 Like

Why do ye ever let him go?

Or is it a cyclical thing, like too much Tony is as bad as no Tony

1 Like

Stop talking in generalisations. I’d wager Dublin are smaller and slower than most IC teams. Crummy and O Donnell are huge men while Brian Hayes added speed to what was the slowest IC team in the country.

Your sample is flawed. The Cork camp was down with a bug while Galway played with 14 men for 60 mins.

1 Like

I’m not so sure of that but others in the clubs will know more. These 3 clubs have huge playing memberships and can probably have entirely different panels for both codes should they wish. In Croke’s case Linehan was the only recent dual player as far as I know and in the main it appears that there is no great migration from hurling to the football.

External influences, such as inter-county involvement/management will have some bearing also - Rory O’Carroll and Jonny Cooper were successful hurlers when younger but went football only route when they made it with Dublin. Conor McHugh was similar but has come back to the hurling since leaving the Dublin panel. Con has effectively been football only of late now that Cuala are no longer a top 3 team.

Cuala hurlers had 5 years straight with Huawei and were with Davy before that - Amgen are doing all teams in Cuala since last year having previously done footballers, ladies footballers and Camogie. Given the reputed cost of preparation for the two club All-Irelands I doubt the hurlers’ sponsorship was ungenerous.

2 Likes

And a fair few of them over 30 as Shefflin left the younger ones on the bench.

Serious downgrade on the Clare men who preached the gospel below in it.

That must be player led, 10/1 for the all Ireland a good bet!! He’d be hoping wattys don’t win Ulster

The football crew up there upset that Davy is the box office managerial appointment.

1 Like

We tried to do the right thing, but we really really want to win an All Ireland. So…

2 Likes

Derry County Board: Can you promise you wont ever do it again?

Gallagher: Well, I cant promise.

Derry County Board: Thats good enough for us.

4 Likes

Gallagher needs to do a soft soap interview with Tommy Niblock and Oisin to build up some good PR.

3 Likes