Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

They want the whole thing to fail.

Its very, very obvious and yet the split season zealots continue to lap it up.

Publicity through incompetence.

The All-Ireland hurling quarter-finals look likely to be another clusterfuck.

If, as seems likeliest, the games are Galway v Tipperary and Clare v Dublin, there is likely to be another venue battle, as Galway are unlikely to concede to playing Tipperary in Thurles. If that game goes to Limerick, Dublin are unlikely to concede to playing Clare in Limerick as it’s a quasi-home venue for Clare.

This means the two games may have to be split rather than making up the exceedingly attractive double header we all want to go head to head with a Currie Cup clash.

Thankfully there’s no clash with the Currie Cup final this year so that should free up a bit of space on the TV scheduling. In any case the Brave and Faithful from Munster gatecrash the Currie Cup Final this season. It would be a real pity if that relatively enticing quarter-final double wasn’t played as a doubleheader. Although it won’t carry quite the same razzmatazz with Dublin taking Wexford’s place this year.

3 Likes

The TV Scheduling will be most interesting with the 4x Preliminary Football Quarter Finals all on the same day too.

What’ll be on RTE and what will GoGo TV pick up?

We could get Breakfast Time throw in’s.

1 Like

Cillian Buckley getting married the Saturday of All Ireland weekend as he mixed up the date the All Ireland would be played. I think he might have been working off the 2022 calendar…

Anyway would never have happened only for the split season…

The split season zealots won’t be happy until they ruin his marriage. The cunt.

How do you cap a county like Limerick who have JP bankrolling them? Would academy’s be banned?A cap is a great idea but it’s unworkable,it should have been brought in 20 years ago.Too many people making money out of it these days.The horse has bolted.

I’m not sure but it’s going to take a lot of money to be competitive now given there are so many games.

Kerry v Louth is not even being broadcast on the paywall. If Louth win by 1 point, Kerry would be eliminated if Cork lose by 3 points or less or don’t lose at all.

The gaa should never go professional. 25 years on and rubby is falling apart

2 Likes

I’d strongly agree.

From a hurling point of view imo the schedule is far too tough on players. There’s clearly players playing injured and some players just looked crocked.

We’ve had round robins in 18,19, 22 and 23 now but a much lighter schedule in 20 and 21. I wouldn’t like to guess what the causality toll will look like when we’ve 5 seasons in a row like this one.

Given the rushed nature of the championships in inter county and a lot of club championships playing through injuries is far more tempting than before.

I’d also worry the inter county players will be pressured into getting themselves right during the club window.

I also think the schedule really suits the teams with greater depth which again makes it a little less competitive.

I’d be getting rid of at least the league semi finals and possibly another round of the league so you can space the round robin games two weeks apart. That would be a small help for players at least. I think that would be better for fans to follow the games as well.

I dont think there is a strong appetite for it amongst a vast majority of supporters in fairness, its fairly clear to see the reasons why they shouldnt but any suggestions need to be shut down. I see where you are coming from that there is a move towards it but i dont agree, i think you’re jumping to conclusions. I think the current formst and split season is a good thing but its not perfect. The championship starts too early but also think clubs should be stsrting as early as possible in the summer. The hurling structure is an easier fix. Start the championships the may weekend, with 3 blocks of 2 games and 1 rest weekend between each and a week before the finals. I would just promote Kerry to Munster and fire resources at them to get competitive in 10 years. That gives you Provisional finals the last week of June.

I think the AI series is too far spread out still. The Provisional winners should have the biggest advantage. Prelim QFs to be played same weekend as Provisional finals, QFs the week after and SF week after that. AIF August bank holiday Sunday. Going the back door should be hard. Play week on week then a break before the final.

Football needs to be torn up and done again, 3 out 4 in this group phase is a joke and you can see by the crowd. I would stay with the group make ups but either top 2 from the group go into a AIQF or my preference the top 4 stright to AISF. I think dead rubbers will alway happen with this format but there will always be more on the line if you have to win all games instead of just one to stay in the championship

That sounds like a great way to decimate attendances. Also I don’t think the Provos should be sponsoring the championship.

We need a strong Ulter Championship in hurling. Itll never happen but if you get half the crowds and passion at inter county as there is for football. Maybe the provos can help? Or maybe i just need help with my spelling

There’s no way Prelim, QF and Semi should be played in back to back weeks.

A provincial final, an All-Ireland quarter-final and an All-Ireland semi-final on back to back weekends would be a great way to kneecap players.

I’d agree it simply isn’t fair on players. You saw in 2018 when teams were asked to play three weeks in a row. It just isn’t right.