Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Tradition is everything in sport.

The GAA had a clear run at it with the way it was - they were all by themselves

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy will be quick to tell us what Nielsen ratings are saying

I could have just about lived with August but yeah Im not liking this

If Roy is against something that’s enough for me

1 Like

We like Roy.

1 Like

I wonder will attendances suffer in the long term. I sort of recall the old Munster Q/f being a pretty awful affair most years with a relatively small attendance. There’s a huge buzz in Limerick and Waterford so I suspect attendances will be good This year also with covid most attendances will hold up.

I think attendances will be up this year as its a novel year. The arse will fall out of it after the middle of July when we’re left with nothing but rugby and soccer until the end of the year. You know what I mean

1 Like

There’ll be plenty of club action to attend after July

2 Likes

The August Bank Holiday weekend will kill it when theres a double header of Group fare in the TUSGG between Doon/Na Piarsaigh/Patrickswell/Kilmallock with about 40 paying spectators in attendance.

3 Likes

As far as I can see it the people most unhappy with the GAA split season are bandwagoners and those who love the sense of occasion but wouldn’t have any real nuance when it comes to analysing a game.

10 Likes

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the 2021/22 Calendar which had an All Ireland Inter County Final in late August and The Club Final in mid February.

Thats the template to use going forward.

1 Like

Would a compromise of playing preseason/league up until Paddy’s day and then letting players back to the clubs for 8 to 10 weeks or so to play league up to mid May - one I/C training session permitted per week in that window or some other sop to I/C managers . Start the inter-county championships in June bank holiday weekend and wrap it up by end of August.

Play club championship then.

1 Like

It isn’t really a split season though is it? A large percentage of inter county games are pointless.

If they are going to insist on this round robin nonsense they should scrap the league or seriously reduce the number of games.

This will not be good for the club game either. There will be significantly less gaa clubs in ten years.

What do clubs do between May and September in that scenario?

July and august are holiday months in Ireland. It’s simply silly to give these months to club players. It’s fine for elite inter county players who probably get something out of playing.

Look on the bright side the Tipp championship can start in may this year

Realistically all counties barring A/I semi finalists would be done by August bank holiday weekend so majority of I/C players are back with their clubs come late july

Play a few rounds of league games without their I/C players, just like they are doing now for the past few week and next two months. It allowed lads to travel over the summer too

You weren’t saying that at the time

I don’t see any point in players going back to their clubs from March to May then

2 Likes

If you don’t get sunburnt in the terrace after the first round of the munster hurling championship have you even been to the first round of the Munster hurling championship?