Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

You can complain about the timing if you want but the split season simply had to happen

2 Likes

I dont remember giving out about it?

It worked absolutely grand. September and October are lovely months weather wise too.

The only drawback is clubs requiring better floodlights to train midweek.

Do away with the inter county club championships so

You weren’t too happy anyway. This is one post of many where you complained about the club final no longer being on St Patrick’s Day.

1 Like

These are the most important people.

I can see this all backfiring spectacularly. The best players will be with clubs less and less. The attachment won’t be there imo.

The solution was shortening the inter county season.

The best players will be at their clubs far more than they were. Clubs will have unlimited access to them from when the county gets knocked out rather than them maybe turning up on a Thursday before a championship game for the first time in months as happened in the past

3 Likes

I think a two week push back would be perfect. Start at the end of April. Push the AIF on two weeks

Other than that it’s all good.

That’s simply complete rubbish.

You’ll have colleges, then an inter county season and the club will be a mere after thought. The offerers from America will on the table and after an inter county season lads deserve a holiday anyway.

The clubs won’t see their best players at all for the first 7/8 months of the year.

Out of sight out of mind.

They was key was shortening the inter county season instead they’ll probably have destroyed both.

These round robin club championship games are some dead loss. Nobody goes to them and they add four unnecessary weekends that have to be fitted in.

It’ll also be interesting to see what sort of impact on fundraising this will have for a lot of clubs. It’ll be very difficult to attract people in July and august to support to club games and other fundraisers.

The links between people in living in an area and their clubs are probably getting thinner as well.

That really depends on the particular championship, while admittedly the quality or interest won’t be as high there will be 5 rounds of good matches in the football championship. It’s a brilliant structure as a player.

1 Like

You do realise the club season always finished well after the intercounty season anyway? What is your magic solution where intercounty players can go on holidays after the intercounty season?

That won’t matter because the clubs won’t be competing for anything worthwhile until the intercounty season is over where they will have unlimited access to their intercounty players. League is taken seriously in some counties in fairness but intercounty players never played those games anyway.

The fact the inter county season coincided with the schools/colleges going back always means fellas are around more.

it’s fairly obvious…

What does that have to do with anything?

What’s the alternative as well. Just straight knockout? Its not a blitz, people actually care about club championships

2 Likes

There is fairly obvious reasons as to why this isn’t good for the inter county game which some will care and others won’t but the general assumption that this is good for the club game doesn’t hold up.

I’m going to hazard a guess that all the main club action will take place from the middle of September / October which is fine.

July and august will just become totally barren months for the gaa when there’s no soccer or rugby or anything else really.

Hard for lads playing games while doing college exams

2 Likes

Might be in Dublin but Cork hurling championship starts end of July and i would imagine crowds will be up.

Lot of pundits against the split season like Spillane, Daly etc. I wonder why, the lads are down a few quid.