Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

There was nearty 3 months between the munster club final and the all ireland semi in the last format :rofl:

1 Like

Waterford wrapped up their Munster Senior Hurling championship campaign on 22 May. A 10 week break then until the Waterford Senior Hurling Championship started on the August Bank Holiday weekend. Blitz format then every weekend culminating in the final on 11 September. As you’ve said, an 8-9 week break before Ballygunner face the Tipperary champions in November.

1 Like

A load of Junior infants would come up with a better solution

3 Likes

Wow, Pat did that personally? What a touch

This is what the split season zealots have foisted on us.

Waterford club footballers kicked off their blitz this weekend after 5 months of no football.

That was way better as it included Christmas and gave lads a chance to properly unwind before knuckling down for 6 weeks to prepare properly for the All Ireland Semi Final.

The problem then was the gap from the Semi Final in early February to March 17th was too long.

The split season zealots have been making it up as they’ve gone along and haven’t a notion what they are doing.

3 Likes

The split season has been great for the profile of the club game at a national level I’ve never seen it get so much coverage on radio and tv

1 Like

My own club didn’t play not so much as one game in the rain. We’re now two games away from winning the Limerick intermediate hurling championship. And it not even the last week of September yet.

Split season has been a tremendous success.

5 Likes

Gap between county final and provincal club is a great idea. Gives clubs time to properly celebrate a county title. Under the old system clubs could win a county and be out in provincal action the week after.

1 Like

It eventually always comes back to alcohol and getting pissed with Paddy.

I maybe wrong on this but my feeling is the new generation aren’t drinkers. They seem more interested in the gym.

Lot more lads not drinking at all as well.

1 Like

Your right on that.

With each passing year the standard of general pub drinking declines.

Lads go to EP on the sesh then they wouldn’t be seen again for a month. No consistency or interest in pints.

The event junkies don’t care about the club player.Donal Og giving out that kids won’t see their idols for months when in reality they’re seeing them every week up close and personal playing for the parish in decent weather rather than in the muck and rain in October/November.

5 Likes

I’d rather attend a club game that I have some connection to or interest in while in my short sleeves than watch intercounty on the TV.

1 Like

You do realise club championships often went ahead in April, may, June, July and august or are you just simpleton ?

You’ve guys like @Massey who want a 9 month inter county season but can’t come out and admit it. Then they post a made up story about their kids getting hurleys signed.

The split season is going to destroy the clubs.

Then you’ve @endakenny who thinks the inter county season needs to go on three weeks longer. That will apparently help the clubs.

It’s all very sad.

I think we need to face up to reality and join up all the thinking that is going on here on TFK alone.
There’s been a census recently. I haven’t delved into it but it’s easy see the demographic trend at the moment. It’s been said on other threads here. The population coming to clubs from Irish family household is dwindling. Has been for more than 2 decades now and to the point now where couples cannot buy/build to start a family.
Numbers coming from other backgrounds may help but your natural grassroot GAA feeder family unit/national school/underage structure isn’t there.
So clubs are going to suffer, clubs are going to change or morph into another identity for the games to survive. Hurling and camogie especially are greatly under threat. Those games and their clubs as they are now will look very different in 10 years time.
As will the intercounty game and the counties. The GAA at HQ is a multi million euro business now, the most successful of its kind in the world. For it to survive in the future it must adapt to what is coming down the line. Just enjoy what you have for the moment, it’s special, and going to be short lived.

The national leagues are taking up three months. Crazy.

Inter county players lucky to be playing for their clubs for six weeks.

An utterly meaningless Munster championship taking 8 weeks to run off.

All Ireland series taking nearly five week. They couldn’t sell out any of the games and hardly anybody knew the semi finals were on. The all Ireland final day experience is crap. Just like another run of the mill match.

It’s utterly shite the whole lot of it.

Then you’ve these people who seem to think inter county teams need four months to prepare for Championship.

The soccer World Cup is on in November and squads will be together to for ten days.

It’s a shambles. The gaa is meant to be based on volunteerism and an Amateur ethos. There’s an awful bang of stinky professionalism about it know and it’s terrible.

Club championship blitz in 6 weeks is the way to go according to the split season zealots. Maybe they’ll streamline it a bit next season, start playing midweek as well and get the club championships played off in 4 weeks.