Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

That’s cause they were shit

Dec can play a bit of football for the next month.

2 Likes

Another 9 month yawn fest of an inter county season and the club championship reduced to a mine blitz.

Exactly.Great to see youngsters swarming around Kyle and Darren after every game this year getting their hurleys and jerseys signed.The young lad came back yesterday after the match with 2 sloitars and his Hurley signed by Kyle (again) and John Kielys signature on his top.He was delighted with himself

6 Likes

I think a lot of Inter County players are in for a culture shock when they are called back into full training in a months time.

Instead of a January - September season its just going to be November - July which is utterly shit.

You see by Dessie Farrell’s comments tonight, Dublin are getting their ducks in a row already and most counties will follow very soon.

2 Likes

It’s a joke what they’ve done. The best
Players loaned back to the clubs for a couple of weeks.

Super 8s and round robin next year.

Whoever was behind this should be executed.

Grand for stronger counties but imagine training from October with no realistic chance of success. You’d imagine weaker counties will lose players.

I don’t get your argument, county players trained and played less with their clubs pre split season.

He’s doing 3 days at The Ploughing this year and happy for it

In the old world, there was always a mindset of “January 1st, down to business, everything before then is a bonus” and lads enjoyed their winters, but now with the NFL starting in early January and Championship in April, if you dont have the work done pre Christmas you won’t get it done at all.

You’d want to be really tough mentally to go hard at it from October to Christmas.

The Dublin thing seems to be a total 1 year deal. They’re obviously all committing to one last hurrah and I’d say 10 of them will call it a day then.

3 Likes

It would have been a lovely day for the All Ireland Football Final.

I’ve gone to a lot of club games over the last few weeks but it all ended up last weekend really. Club hurling is done in Waterford now across all grades for the year. It ended in Carlow on the August bank holiday weekend. I’d head over to Wexford occasionally for a club game as well, but the hurling season was done in Wexford on 14 August.

I sat down just before 2 thinking I might catch half an hour of club action on TnaG before I went out for the afternoon. No such luck, they were screening Ladies Australian Rules.

5 Likes

I see the senior football in your native Carlow is very open this year following Eire Og’s quarter-final defeat to Rathvilly. Hurling stronghold MLR with a 50-50 chance of reaching a senior football final.

I see O’ Hanrahans of Carlow town are also on the brink of relegation to the junior ranks. A fair fall for a club who won a Leinster senior title back around 2000/2001.

I’m a native North Londoner. I wouldn’t really follow the club football. Rangers might have a cut at trying to win a football with no hurling commitments.

For all the talk of promoting the club game, there was the bizarre scenario during the week of Leinster Council CEO Pat Teehan rocking on to Ballyhale training with a few statues for TJ Reid and a few more for Club All Star awards from last year.

Larry did something similar at Kilcoo training the previous week. I presume they went to Ballygunner and a few more clubs who had award winners also.

No ceremony, no promotion, nothing. I havent even seen an official team for both codes but maybe i missed it.

Anyway the whole thing looks really shabby and anyone who thinks the GAA Hierarchy really care about the grassroots needs to think again.

Sure fellas on here think the split season is good for the clubs.

I was at that Leinster final where they beat Na Fianna in Portlaoise. They well deserved it and ran Nemo very close in the semi final I think. They had a brilliant full back, a fella called Andrew Corden, he was outstanding. He was killed in an industrial accident 18 months later.

1 Like

Larry McCarthy has shown up at clubs the length and breadth of the country the past few months. Twas the best thing in the world when John Delaney was doing it with his bag of cash :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Put it back 3 weeks, problem solved.

Larry is fairly inoffensive but hasn’t much of a clue.

The lack of joined up thinking on the current schedule is just bizzare.

The Cork County final is fixed for Oct 9th - Cork Champions play in Munster Club on November 19th - 6 week gap

Ballygunner have an 8 week gap or something ridiculous. Clare and Limerick Champions will have significant breaks too.

Think the Tipp Champions will have 3 but it would have been 5 only for the tragedy in Semple Stadium.

1 Like