Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Carlow and Kerry all of a sudden elevated to the “top” 12?
You still haven’t explained how your championship calendar template would be administered across 32 individual championships, especially now when 33% of the top hurling counties have gone and done their own thing which is their right to do. Third time lucky perhaps.

Well when my calendar means that no County will be knocked out of both Inter County Championship’s until July 16th and they only need to be ready for Provincial Club on November 5th at the earliest, then they won’t really be able to go off and do solo runs like playing County Final’s in August.

I have also included 3-4 weeks in late April/early May for any county like Limerick or Wexford with their convoluted 6 team group championships so a few rounds can be played there if necessary.

so it’s going to have to be administered from CP.

Shur of course it will be ultimately administered from Croke Park the same way as it is as present and the way it has always been

County Boards have always looked at the GAA’s master fixture list and worked around it accordingly.

If Croke Park ensure most counties are finished inter county action on the June BH of course some County Boards run mostly by idiots will go off and organize key Club Championship games when half the players are on holidays in mid July.

But how is it practical to dictate to a county with 8/10 senior clubs in either code to run their championships the same as the 66% of the counties who have the most clubs and are still in action coming into the knock out stages of the competitions?

Wexford players and clubs already voted on this. They dont want club games in late April/early May. That was in before, people cribbing about the Wexford hurling being over in August, you bring it back to early May and you’ll have teams finished then like it was before, which is worse. Having half a season early on and finishing it out 3 months later is a load of bollicks.

As an aside, the club championship in Wexford will be starting its knock out rounds in the first weekend in October, and having county finals at the end of the month.

3 Likes

People need to stop worrying about what format is used and instead worry about what windows games are being played in.

We need a 15/16 week window for club championships which we currently have. We just need to put it all back 3/4 weeks.

The idea of returning to a club window in April will not work whilst the inter county manager will not allow games mid season (yea I know this is wrong but it’s the fact).

On Waterford, I am friends with dual players in Waterford who all seem to like the idea of playing the hurling off first, is it them or lads on TFK we should be listening to?

3 Likes

Get rid of the inter county league or have a seriously reduced pre season competition.

Inter county championship would be straight knock out until the provincial finals. Provincial final winners will have home all Ireland semi finals.

All Clubs countrywide have proper leagues running till the end of august. Games are home and away so communities know they can see their adult teams every second week or whatever.

Club championship would be straight knock out in every county. You can have senior, Junior c or whatever way you want but it’s knock out structure.

I’d also bring in a rule if shane Walsh or whoever else plays championship for Galway they can’t represent any other club in the knockout championship for five years.

April / may would be largely club months.

Inter county managers will essentially have no power and no player can be stopped playing for their club.

This brings the games back to the people. It gives the small fish a chance of a really big day and it would seriously hamper the super clubs. It’s a format that represents what the gaa is all about.

We are slowly moving towards professionalism and it’s utterly awful. Anybody who supports the split seasons wants their club to fold.

Obviously no system is perfect but many counties will be knocked out quickly enough and players are freed up for club games. I’d also need a huge emphasis placed on the club league like we see in some counties.

According to John Fogarty in Examiner All Ireland finals going back 2 weeks. Thought they would go back more.

Football mate I presume?

The whole thing is a travesty.

I would agree with you on some parts of your argument. County teams back training in October is nuts. Know a lad on a county development squad under 15. Doing S&C programme all winter.

1 Like

It’s greAt to have you on board

Who could possibly have forseen moving Championship’s forward from May - Sept to March - July would see teams going back training two months earlier?

Kerrys hurling championship is always lashed through to get it out of the way for the football. It has literally nothing to do with the split season.

BTW was talking to a Kerry hurler lately about thr split season and his exact words were “best thing that ever happened”

1 Like

I always find it funny that the first post in this thread is from @Perez2017 saying its going to be a disaster.

He’s come full circle.

There was some great contributions early doors until the zealots turned up

1 Like

Questions:

What in posters’ views should be the following:

The minimum number of games a club football or hurling team should be guaranteed to play in a calendar year: (My answer: 16)

The minimum number of championship games a club team should be guaranteed to play in a calendar year: (My answer: 1)

The minimum number of league and championship games an inter-county team should be guaranteed to play in a calendar year: (My answer: 9)

That’s such a nuanced question depending on the county.

I like Tyrone’s league with all its games but it will never succeed in other counties due to County managers, dual commitments and timing.

As I said, clubs need 16 weeks to run their championship. This will allow dual club players a minimum of 8 games and maximum of 16 if they do a Loughmore on it and win both.

Leagues can take place from March to July (roughly 18 weeks) and I think if dual players are getting 10-12 league games it’s acceptable.

That’s roughly 20-24 games in a year which is a very healthy fixtures calendar.

I don’t think CP should intrude on this and have a set structure for competitions. Tyrone is very different to Tipperary or Cork for example. CP should advise where necessary if there are complaints. An example is this years Mayo league which didn’t start until May.

The minimum number of games in the championship is possibly a nuanced question depending on the county - like I could see why Leitrim might want to run a longer club championship because they’ll full well expect to be out of the inter-county championship almost as soon as it has begun. Or why the Galway hurling championship might be longer given that there’s no real provincial element in Connacht, thus there is less time pressure to get the Galway championship finished.

But I don’t think the minimum number of games a club should be guaranteed is particularly nuanced, I think it’s the same principle across all counties.

I think in most counties 16 weeks to run off club championships is ludicrous. That means five round robin games. I can see why teams might want three guaranteed round robin games but in the vast majority of circumstances five is overkill.