Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Carlow county board played their county hurling final in early August. Shows the interest they have in hurling.

That lad is on drugs.

7 a side friendly club competitions in mid summer? I’d love to know what this fella is on.

1 Like

He’s on drugs.

He thinks every county is like Sligo I say with one code.

I’d agree on a return to Division 1A/B and 2A/B. @Cheasty correctly pointed this out before.

Plus 11 team national leagues with Kerry playing Carlow. That would be competitive.

1 Like

I’d actually be a big advocate of that.

The Saturday of a June BH would be a grand time to have one in each county when numbers are slim between Leaving Cert/Silage/J1’s.

One of my big regrets is never getting the chance to play in the Kilmacud 7s. Our club played there before my time and they still talk about it.

1 Like

The kilkacrud crokes was serious business ten years ago. Seems to have died a death now.

1 Like

I’d like the idea of each county having a 7 a side competition one weekend of the year during the summer.

You could have 32 teams whittled down to 2 quick enough in a series of blitzes around the county. Give a nice prize to the winner and link up with a local charity. Critically have a social side of it with some roaster band playing after.

2 Likes

Portumna always took it seriously in their pomp.

Nobody even knew it was on this year but then again the whole All Ireland weekend has been completely dumbed down so what do you expect.

One weekend possibly but every week like this fella is suggesting.

1 Like

I see even a split season zealot like Shane Brophy has admitted in this week’s Nenagh Guardian that they’ve made a right mess of it this year.

1 Like

Who could possibly have foreseen this? cc @BruidheanChaorthainn @Cheasty @ChairmanDan

“Young players going abroad during the summer is going to an annual issue so maybe the GAA needs to adjust for it where club championships won’t begin until the first weekend in August at the earliest. That would open the possibility of extending the inter-county season by two weeks, no more than that, and I feel that is all that is needed from having as close to a perfect schedule between club and county as possible.

The GAA’s initial plan was to finish all competitions in the calendar year with the club finals in December. However, there is a growing feeling that the club season will extend permanently into January. I know this creates some debate of it being unfair for some clubs not to be able to enjoy the Christmas and New Year festivities, but if you knew you were that close to an All-Ireland in a given year, you would forsake one festive period where you might row back on over indulgence.”

Brophy is not against the split season @peddlerscross he is like me and wants tweaks.

2 Likes

I love the way drinking is always a key element of the decision making on schedules :smiley:. ‘Very unfair on lads not being able to absolutely poison themselves with drink over Christmas/after winning a county final’.

I think the main complaint with the January all Irelands was the OTB crew and Wooly blamed it on why the likes of Kieran Molloy and Gary Sice couldn’t start for Galway.

Those all Ireland club semis and finals in January are ideal.

He’s admitting they have made a bags of it this year.

Anyway next year looks like more of the same as the rest of the Split Season zealots (Derrick Lynch and these fellas) have dug their heels in and refuse to admit they have been wrong.

The club championships should have no prominence in the calendar. It only encourages super clubs.

I think most club championships didnt start till August anyway. I hope they move all irelands to early August. Be bored of hearing about it.

I presume he is on about Cork hurling management anyway.

Kerry, Wexford and Carlow had their hurling Championships wrapped up by August 14th. Waterford had a 6 week blitz finished in early September. That’s 4 of the top 12 hurling counties (33%)

Even Dublin who normally have their business in order were playing 2 games in 4 days back in Mid-July with scrap teams in front of two men and a dog in Parnell Park.