Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

You couldnt make this shite up.

Split season playing into hands of rugby, soccer, hare coursing and anything else you’re having.
Yet 16 weeks is ludicrous to run off a club championship.
Ye want them playing and ye don’t want them playing. Getting tiresome now at this stage.

1 Like

Leinster and Munster gaa councils agreeing to have the hurling finals on the same day next year. Call me a cynic, but no doubt Leinster Council don’t think Wexford could get to it. They’re probably right. If we did, we’d obviously bring about 45,000 again to Croke Park. You get another drab Kilkenny vs Galway/Dublin final, only about 40,000 alone at it, thus less need to have it on a single day.

1 Like

Roy just gets it.

3 Likes

You have the wrong end of the stick there I’d say.

The Munster Final won’t be held in Croke Park.

We have a great record in years where they’ve played the Leinster and Munster finals on the one day (2019)! BDE will be hoping to capitalise on any perceived weakness in Coach Lyngs armour. A big year for BDE, needs to be a moving year after a promising first season in charge.

Tough on a bar stooler like Roy allright.

I’d say who was in it wasn’t even considered.

Don’t ever call me from Limerick again.

I remember it well! Watching Munster final in Meaghers. Still wouldn’t want it to be like that again. Rather at least have the option to see both properly.

Ridiculously.

Feargal and Larry and co are scrambling around Croke Park frantically trying to put a calendar together for next year but deep down they know they have fucked the whole thing up.

They are like NPHET last year leaking a few things before announcing them to gauge the level of Twitter outrage.

We need strong administrators like Liam Mulvihill and Frank Murphy to come back and sort it out.

1 Like

I dont think anyone will miss league finals. Total non events.

Are ye all mentally unwell?

Push back the intercounty finals into August and let there be no more about it.

I know from talking to plenty of Limerick All Ireland winners, that the split season works.

In fact, it works very, very well in a successful hurling county anyway.

4 Likes

Nine months? August to December is 5 months.

1 Like

And 1996.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0922/1324815-what-the-proposed-2023-gaa-calendar-looks-like/

That’s a great set up.

Intercounty from February - July inclusive. August - December inclusive for clubs.

A lovely balance there. Personally I’d play the hurling final the August Bank Holiday weekend annually but that’s a small quibble.

I’ve yet to meet a proper club person - player, coach, club officer, regular club supporter - who isn’t a fan of this system.

10 Likes

It’s an utterly horrific system.

We had the single worst inter county championship of all time this year. They couldn’t give tickets away to the final and this after covid where every event even the ploughing championships are booming.

There won’t be five counties playing hurling in ten years time.

Just a shambles.

It’ll all be about money know going forward. Who Can invest the most money correctly. The shock and awe of the championships are gone and they won’t come back until they go back to a knock out system.

The reason why everybody loved the fa cup back in the day because on any given day nearly everybody had a chance of a victory. That’s what made it special.

The split season will finish the clubs. That’s a given. It’s just an after thought now thanks to this horrific system.