Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Snowflake generation. I played club Senior hurling as a 17 year old. Didn’t do me a bit of harm.

1 Like

The issue is there is simply too many games for the calendar. If a good minor had exams it meant a back log of games. Spoofing club managers getting underage games off then because they’d a senior game coming up. It created a back log.

Ah that’s too late for club GAA. A very small window when you consider lads family commitments will start to take precedence in their early 30’s. I remember one of my first player meetings training with the then seniors and one of the more senior players implying that if you weren’t playing senior by 20/21 then you may as well forget about it. I did think that was an extremely harsh view at the time but there’s probably an element of truth in it.

Probably a rural club that couldn’t field without you.

A.

Ha.

Different point.

Inter county senior is now full of back row forward type lads. Need to be big and strong to compete consistently.

Clubs senior is grand for an 18 year old.

1 Like

I like many others player Adult at 17.

Had a minor game every Wednesday and a senior game at the weekend, didn’t really do much training but I improved a tonne with games. This happens in 99% of clubs. “Player burnout” is totally over hyped, not every good 18 year old sticks at it for a variety of reasons such as injury, travel, work or just losing interest.

Now they want to wait until they are 19. Bonkers.

Carlow

1 Like

I know of a few junior clubs who need 18 year olds to come on stream every year to stay alive. If this goes to 19 they are in trouble.

1 Like

When their star players ups and leaves mid season he must not think much of them.

Was that for St Mullins?

Thats the sort of small minded attitude that drives young lads away from sport.

3 Likes

I think you may have got a bang in the head that turned you into an anti split season, unionist, monarchist with an encyclopaedic knowledge of Carlow hurling.

That says more about the club than any rule ever could.

If their numbers are that small there will be years when no 18 year olds come through.

Easy enough to allow under 19s play junior and not senior

I’ll see your 17 and raise/lower you to 15.

Which in hindsight led to a load of disagreements, a detailed knowledge of hamstrings but more importantly a load of underage championships were held up because a few of us were scuttering around with the adults.

Is GAA the only sport really where people play at so many different age groups and levels? Do good u18 rugby and soccer players play senior for their clubs too? Genuine question by the way I don’t know the answer

I don’t know. It did occur to me this this morning as I watch our u11s rout someone 9-1.

1 Like

Haven’t heard of it in Rugby. But have in soccer.

January 2017 @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy - The GGA are not allowing 17 year olds play adult club. Our club will fold now if we cant play minors.

January 2019 @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy - The GGA fucked up by having the U17 grade, 18 year olds arent ready for the step up to adult level and they will lose them to other sports/women/drink.

Its a never ending cycle. I sat through one county board meeting where delegates at it complained for fucking ages that their club would fold because minor players wouldnt be allowed play for the club. I was at another one recently where delegates gave out that 18 year olds are not ready for adult level and it was a joke that they were now expected as minors to now tog out with adults when they are still technically children.

And this is the problem really with it all. No solution will work 100%. At all. One thing I would say is rubbish is a club relying on minors coming through or the club will fold. If your club is in that bad a position that it needs 18 year olds to carry it, then there are massive problems that wont be fixed by age grading. And again, I say that from a club that has fielded 5 18 year olds this year in hurling/football. If we didnt have them would we have folded? Absolutely not. But they are good enough to play so they did. And they are capable of playing. I dont think anyone at any point is saying that no 18 year is not ready to play senior. I’m sure most of us on here that played did so for an adult team before they were 18.

I dont know what way other counties run minor or adult championship, but having minor and adult crossover in Wexford is an unmitigated disaster. The minor championship could be held up for weeks or months for one or 2 players.

Clubs need to decide which is more important, having minor go back to U18, or having 18 year olds play for adult teams. I dont think with the amount of games a typical dual player would have, that both can work simultaneously.

4 Likes

I’d say you enjoyed it at the time though. Give me games over training all day long. That would have been the start of a very special period for your club too.