Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Club finals on the new bank holiday for St Bridgid’s day, first weekend of February be a good idea in my opinion.

1 Like

I still wouldn’t agree with that. I don’t see any benefit in having 3 championship games 3 months apart

For everybody. If you lose your first two matches, you’ve no business being in a championship.

1 Like

Nonsense.

Your opinion.

Championship game every 4 weeks would be a good compromise in my opinion but another problem is county players are wrecked and can’t give much to their club in that situation.

It doesn’t take much to tip the needle in club championship.
With the 6 team group I’ve seen plenty of cases where a team might lose their opening two games due to injuries or whatever but sneak into the knockout stages with a bit of momentum and win the thing out.

You are looking at it from the angle of someone with very limited interest or attachment to the club scene.

5 Likes

What about dual clubs though? That would essentially be a match in either code every 8 weeks then?

1 Like

Championship isn’t meant to be forgiving. It’s meant to be cut throat.

This is why the Tyrone championship is the best in Ireland to follow.

Thats the main issue in reality. Dual clubs. Unsolvable.

I would agree there is scope for this, but you need to allow for rounds of football and hurling in the county, so you would need 2 weekends per window. Most counties you could have intercounty footballers also playing the club hurling championship and visa versa.

I disagree. Can’t build any momentum when you have a month off between games. Also the interest in club games is a lot higher when it isn’t at the same time as the intercounty

1 Like

10-12 years back when the Dublin championship would be played off over a shortish window mainly in October, the opposite was a common complaint, people were complaining that the time frame was much too short, and that minor enough injuries could scupper a player’s entire year.

I didn’t buy those complaints.

But neither do I buy the opposite complaints.

And you’ll never keep everybody happy.

I would say at least 95% of club players are happy with the split season

1 Like

What about inter county hurling and club football February to June, inter county football club hurling July on. Again dual clubs the problem. Maybe club hurling teams have to play without county footballers and vice versa. Cant be many either way.

1 Like

Yeah but it comes back to the problem mentioned by Roy Curtis and correctly identified by a number posters here over a number of years.

The GAA is shooting itself in the foot in promotional and marketing terms by having no inter-county fixtures after July 24th.

This is a bigger problem. If you downgrade your showpiece competitions you downgrade the entire GAA.

1 Like

You’re trying to solve a problem which has already been solved and doing a poor job of it

But they are getting the first 7 months of the year. Surely that’s a long enough period to act as a promotional vehicle.

Ladies football and camogie after July 24th.

I wouldn’t have much problem with extending it by a few weeks