Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

How will they be down a few quid?

Isnā€™t Daly involved with some Dublin club ?

They always have been

1 Like

Less media gigs. County season ending in late July. Why do you think Spillane is so anti split season? Losing a good few quid i would think.

In a championship with 16 teams, a better system than round robin is

8 ties in Round 1

Round 2 (winners section)
8 winners from Round 1 then play off against each other in four ties, the four winners qualify for the quarter-finals

Round 2 (Losersā€™ section)
The 8 losers of the Round 1 ties play off against each other, winners advance to Round 3, losers are eliminated

Round 3: The four losers from Round 2 winnersā€™ section play the four winners from Round 2 losersā€™ section - the four winners advance to the quarter-finals.

Means there are no dead rubbers and each team has to win two games to reach the quarter-finals.

1 Like

Also county season goes on until August 7th with all ireland camogie final. 7 months is more than enough for county season. January to start of August, what more do they want?

2 Likes

Ya but the rounds robin games and the super 8s have bumped them up as well. Really just a compressed season. Presume thereā€™ll be more hurling and football clashes on weekends as well.

Hopefully they do a Saturday game highlights show and a Sunday game one as opposed to just the one.

Cut out the league.

Didnā€™t Tyrone play a few club championships with out the inter county players ?

I would agree with a league style hurling championship but Munster championship the problem.

Better system for who?

You have some people on here who only see club as an inconvenience.

6 Likes

My last thought on this itā€™s a disgrace the tickets arenā€™t sold through the clubs anymore.

Surely they could get a system going where you could buy them online but only with a club membership number or something.

Unless a game is going to be a sell out its a lot less hassle for the clubs themselves for them to be sold in shops instead

1 Like

Agreed, the college exams is an issue which has barely attracted any comment. I donā€™t have a problem with the split season as such and an All Ireland Championship played off in three months. Iā€™d be in favour of an All Ireland Championship played from mid June to mid September.

Nephew of the missus is involved in the Waterford set up. Heā€™s facing into final college exams in May, smack bang in the middle of this round Robin mini blitz. Most of the Championship hurling will be done in 5 weekends from mid April to the 3rd weekend in May. 25 games across those 5 weekends. After that, thereā€™s only 7 games of consequence left.

6 Likes

Might help get non playing membership through the door though imo.

Just think itā€™s a big carrot for clubs and a little unfair on genuine fans.

I wouldnt be against having all ireland hurling and football finals on say first 2 weeks of August. County champions in counties of all ireland finalists get byes in early rounds of provincal club championship.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no real reason why the inter-county championships and the club championships canā€™t be played off at least partly over the same time frame, ie May to mid July.

Doing that would ensure your prime months from May- October are all filled with matches that people want to go to.

The reasons for not doing this as it currently stands are:

i) the lack of co-ordination between counties and provinces in fixture making, and more importantly
ii) the exalted positions of inter-county managers.

The first responder to Dalyā€™s tweet above was quite right. Association football is able to do this. It has designated international windows. Thereā€™s no real reason there canā€™t be designated club windows in May and June and July where you play club championship except lack of will to enforce it.

1 Like

Main problem is power of county managers. Could have club championship games in 1 week in May, June and July but county managers will not relinquish their power.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve pivoted slightly on this.

I would be happy to compromise with a Mid Feb Final like this year when we had the greatest Club Final day ever. I have a theory on why Paddys Day Finals didnā€™t always live up to expectations- teams were so primed for the Semi Final in early February that that the 6 week gap to March 17th was a bit of an anticlimax.

The optimum structure would see all Provincial Club Finals played in the two weekends pre-Christmas (Leinster Club Hurling, Munster Club Hurling, Ulster Club Hurling and Connacht Club Football on Dec 10th/11th with the remaining Club Football Finals on the following weekend.

Then in late January over 2x weekends youā€™d have the All Ireland semi finals with the final in mid Feb. (This would see the reintroduction of the challenge match circuit in early January with Club, College and County Teams all going up against eachother under lights in places like Newtownshandrum/Doora Barefield/Templetuohy etc - true connoisseurs of the game place greater value on these games than anything that happens in high summer)

Sigerson/Fitzgibbon would run from Mid Jan to Mid Feb.

National League would kick off around Feb 20th and run until around April 20th. Championship then from mid May until Mid August.

Club from then onwards from circa August 20th with County Finals played off by mid November.

2 Likes

This is so true.