Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Incorrect. We generally lose 1 to a J1 every couple of years. All of the clubs around here are pretty much the same

I’ve made this point before but this narrative that no young people live in Ireland between June and August is hilarious and incredibly wrong. Its still a small minority that leave the country for the summer

Isnt there a May cut off for players getting sanctioned to play in America?

That’s horse shit. Primary schools don’t finish till the end of June. Go look at the price of flights anywhere in July and august.

Club players don’t single handily carry clubs either. What’s it cost to run an a dual club now? North off a 100k in most areas now and costs will only rise. You are alienating a large portion off a community.

The clubs have been mugged off here.

The key to the whole thing is shortening the inter county season.

There is no need for a 8 month inter county season.

Is Dublin the only county this happens in?

Agreed. Cork championship starts August bank holiday. I’d imagine crowds will be up not down.

Its not horseshit, its fact. As far as I know we are not losing anyone to travelling this summer. The clubs around us rarely lose anyone either

I always said but a proper club league with a decent prize at end of it would be the making of club gaa. Run it from June to the middle of august a long side the inter county games.

Games simply don’t get called off for any reason and games would be played on Friday evenings home and away. No neutral venues. Just let who is around play.

Get people into the clubs and create a community evening around it. It would do wonders for clubs and you could run off a shortened club championship in September/October when everyone is back.

The inter county season needs to be curtailed also. I’d be for scrapping the league. I think in NFL you are only allowed two per season games perhaps three. Then go straight into your round robin championships.

We are not losing anyone either as far as i know. Surprising really.

The league is the best fucking part of the GAA for 90% of counties :laughing:

The split season is fine - but a simple tweak of moving things on by 4 weeks is the best compromise. There is no need to play the All Ireland Club pre Christmas.

The 2021/2022 season was as close to a perfect solution as you will get.

Merely because of the constraints of the geographical structures. If you’d proper structures the championship would be amazing.

Ah stop, you’re trolling now :grin:

I think in the whole of this debate @ChairmanDan has made two of the most pertinent points as regards players.

The inter-county championships starting in April makes it harder for country teams and for players who have exams. It plays into the hands of the strong, thus making the inter-county championships less competitive.

The younger club players travelling is also a very pertinent point.

The old way was the way it was for good reasons.

Club GAA is essentially a hobby and people want to be able to do other things in the summer.

The club championships as they were in 2021/22 worked very well.

Its probably a price worth paying, but I think its certain that standards at Inter County will continue to fall off a cliff with a July final.

Its unlikely you’ll ever again see a Hurling Final like 2014 or a Football final like 2017.

Having a 3 week lead in, allowed teams be 30% or 40% better prepared. You’d get one week to wind down after a Semi Final win, one week of hard training, and then the final week to fine tune.

It lead to an insane quality.

1 Like

Ok so you’re finally admitting the split season is the way to go. Round robins in mid April isn’t the fault of the split season, its the fault of the championship structure. Again players always missed games when they were going off on J1s but delaying it by a few weeks would largely negate this issue as well

I’ve put forward multiple ideas. The split season with July finals is a dead loss. It’s suicide for the GAA.

Your ideas such as 1 round of games in May, June and July all make the issues as raised by @ChairmanDan even worse

1 Like

Just because Tipperary have fallen off a cliff doesn’t mean standards have dropped. Look at how far Waterford have improved in even 12 months. Outstanding quality throughout their panel. Should be some cracking games between them and Limerick.

If it’s a serious problem, you could have rounds in April, May, and early June and then come back in September for the knockouts.

As it is, what is happening this year runs head first into the two problems he raises.