Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Seven percent reduction in GAA team registrations from pre-Covid numbers  .

I’ve called for the NFL to go back to the 1A/1B/2A/2B format. Having an ultra-competitive NFL Division 1 is where the problems of competitiveness start. It allows the strong teams to gallop ahead too much.

The competitiveness problems in football are more fixable.

The problems of imbalance in hurling are far more difficult to solve. They’re probably fixable with effort with a county like Wexford which is a traditional hurling county with a potential large latent support there, but beyond that, no chance. There are only eight real hurling counties.

1 Like

I would think it isn’t just a case of flipping a switch. There could be significant infrastructural requirements.

The split season seems to be bringing Offaly and Cork hurling back to the boil again, its a miracle worker.

Racing tv produce a second Channel on sky on St Stephen’s Day. L

You are spectacularly wrong here. We are 5 games into a very competitive 11 game league competition. This will finish in mid june before championship starts in mid july. Every team gets a minimum of 5 championship games and no one will be out before mid September. All fixture dates were released in January. Club players have never had it so good in Dublin. Loads of meaningful games and a fixture list set in stone.

7 Likes

That’s without the inter county players I assume?

RTÉ is a partner in GAA Go, so I’d imagine they could find a solution within their network (they could play them on the RTÉ news channel, for example).

1 Like

It should still be a long-term aim, I think. Unless the cost is hugely prohibitive.

How can the Dublin senior hurling championship start in mid July when the all Ireland final mid July ?

The league yes but players not in county match day panels generally play league too. Championship has county players available and more importantly a 4 to 6 week window for them to prepare with the club

I think we are safe enough

3 Likes

The cost is hardly too mad considering some of the channels that are already on the sky box

You can’t have a subscription channel/service on terrestrial tv.

Now you could as an act of good will show a simulcast of one of the games on both tv and the gaa go. Or stream one on YouTube instead of behind the paywall.

The whole thing could be a lot better and you would hope it would get better but I doubt the gaa have much appetite to do it.

The whole thing would be way better if we reduced the amount of inter county games.

And also bring back the under 21 championships.

Rte can only show so many games live, that is why a secondary partner is needed be it tg4 or Virgin. Give them a plum live game every week but as a stipulation of this they also need to show a joe Mcdonagh or Tailtainn cup game live each week.

Stick the rest on gaa go, if gaa go don’t stream it then the home county/provincial board should be allowed to with the game being available on gaa go to watch back from the next day

2 Likes

How many games should a club get in championship?

The way I see it going is inter county players just won’t play with clubs in 10-15 years time.

The split season is actually a great way of protecting against that scenario. Once the intercounty season is over the players can focus entirely on their club