Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

In the old days County Minors and Under 21’s actually played and trained with their Clubs throughout the year. They werent locked away with the County for 6 or 7 months.

You could have a Munster Minor Semi Final one week on a Wednesday night and the following Wednesday would be a Club Minor game. Then a Munster Minor final the following Sunday.

There was a healthy balance.

Now there is no Minor or Under 21 games of note at Club Level until July. For the non-County player its a grim situation at that age particularly 17 year olds who cant play Adult.

I’d say Parents are doing as much if not more driving now than they ever did. Its 4 or 5 nights a week now from October to May/June.

They might have in the 90s mate but in the last 20 years county players at minor and under 21 level never trained with their club while involved with the county. Minor club championship starting in great weather in July is perfect. What do you want? Club minor championship played in April?

Finish the story. I bet he passed.

County Underage players were never locked away from Clubs for months on end. Club and County Minor games were played off in parallel throughout the year.

A Minor and/or U21 Championship in one code should be played off in the February to May period. Better than not playing them off at all which is happening now thanks to the split season.

Anyone who stands over those games in Thurles today and thinks thats better than 10 years ago when minor semi finals were curtain raisers to Senior Semi finals hasn’t a notion.

As @Bandage said nobody knows or cares anymore about these games except for people from Offaly. You have to ask why.

On the whole exam issue, i don’t have an overly strong opinion on playing games close to the Leaving Cert, but i did think that the whole point of changing Minor to U17 was to do with the Leaving Cert so why the hell are they now playing an U20 Final 3 days before it starts? Its mad.

1 Like

There’s about 3 lads on here who haven’t a fucking notion but bless them they’re entertaining all the same

Only 3?

3 IP addresses, 20 logins.

2 Likes

A minor championship in the pissing rain of February to May. That beats all. Lads with no hurling during peak summer. You must be on a wind up.

In a ‘hurling’ county, a minor/under 21 football championship could easily be run off in that period.

In a football county, you could play off the hurling.

You have to use the early months of the year for some club activity.

Trying to run off Minor, U21 & Adult Hurling and Football Championships from July onwards just doesn’t work. No wonder they want to stop u18’s playing Adult to avoid the crossover of 6 different championships (3 Football, 3 Hurling).

1 Like

Pretty sure Patrick Kirby played senior intercounty hurling championship for Limerick in the middle of his leaving many moons ago.

2 Likes

Why couldnt Tipp run off an under 21 knockout from mid June until start of August? Senior championship wont be starting until August. Onus is on Tipp county board.

Michael Murphy for Donegal I’d say made his debut the Sunday before.

Course he did.

Again that’s complete bullshit.

Under 17s can’t even play adult hurling with their clubs so to play these games just before the leaving cert is remarkably stupid.

They can play their age grade old pal

You can’t beat the split season all the same

2 Likes

Very few doing the leaving cert at 17 now mate.

1 Like

Split season is playing out really well in Waterford and Wexford now where they’ve both adopted the clay court mini blitz style 6 week club hurling season within the county.

Wexford on the brink of relegation to the Joe McDonagh Cup and Waterford not far behind them.

1 Like

John mullane called it. Something has to give.